The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 10 January 2018 approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Canada for cooperation in the field of Science & Technology.
The MoU will provide a mechanism and help to foster scientific cooperation between Research & Development (R&D) and academic institutions of India and Canada.
Highlights of the MoU
• An innovative model of R&D cooperation between India and Canada will be implemented under a MoU under the scrutiny of the Department of Science and Technology along with the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada.
• India-Canada Centre for Innovative Multidisciplinary Partnership to Accelerate Community Transformation and Sustainability (IC-IMPACTS) programme will be supported to promote India-Canada multidisciplinary research partnerships.
• The R&D projects will be aimed at accelerating social transformation by providing solutions through application of science and technology.
• The participants involved in accomplishing this MoU, will include researchers from scientific organizations, academia and R&D laboratories from India and Canada.
• Identified areas of mutual cooperation betweeb both the countries include safe and sustainable infrastructure and integrated water management.
• It will help in developing institutional networking and will support the establishment of connections between scientific organizations, scientists and specialists of India and Canada.
The MoU was approved in pursuance to the inter-governmental Agreement for Scientific and Technological Cooperation between the India and Canada concluded in November 2005.
Rocket scientist Sivan K appointed as Chairman of ISRO
Who: Union Cabinet
When: 10 January 2018