The Union Cabinet on 22 November 2017 approved the revision in the salaries, gratuity, allowances, pension of the Judges and retired Judges of the Supreme Court and the High Courts.
The move came following the implementation of recommendations of the 7th Central Pay Commission in respect of Civil Servants.
• The revision in salaries and allowances will pave the way for necessary amendments in the two laws such as Supreme Court Judges (Salaries and Conditions of Service) Act, 1958 and High Court Judges (Salaries and Conditions of Service) Act, 1954.
• Both of these Acts govern the salaries of Chief Justice of India (CJI), Judges of Supreme Court of India, Chief Justices and all Judges of High Courts.
• The increase in the salary and allowances will benefit 31 Judges of Supreme Court of India (including the CJI) and 1079 Judges and Chief Justices of High Courts.
• Approximately 2500 retired Judges will also be benefited through the revision of pension and gratuity etc.
• Arrears on account of revised salaries, gratuity, pension and family pension will be paid as one time lump sum payment with effect from 1 January 2016.
Who: Union Cabinet
When: 22 November 2017