Minister of State for Power and Renewable Energy RK Singh on October 15, 2018 launched an award scheme under the umbrella Saubhagya Scheme, also known as Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana.
The Saubhagya award scheme will felicitate the power distribution companies (DISCOMs) and Power Department of the States and their employees for achieving 100 percent household electrification.
Eight States which have already achieved more than 99 percent household electrification prior to launch of Saubhagya scheme are ineligible for participation under the award scheme. These eight states are Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Goa, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Punjab and Tamil Nadu.
All the remaining States and their Discoms are eligible for the award.
Three categories of Saubhagya award scheme
Award will be given in three categories. These categories are:
(i) DISCOMs / Power Departments of Special Category States (Seven North Eastern States, Sikkim, J&K and Uttarakhand)
(ii) DISCOMs / Power Departments of Non-Special Category States having more than 5 Lakh un-electrified households (Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Rajasthan, Telengana, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal)
(iii) DISCOMs / Power Departments of other than Special Category States having less than 5 Lakh un-electrified households
Two quantum of award
• There will be two quantum of award in each of the three categories.
• Under first quantum of award, the 1st DISCOM or Power Department that achieves 100 percent household electrification by November 30, 2018 would be provided cash award of Rs 50 Lakh.
• The Principal Secretary (Power) of the State will distribute this cash prize amongst employees of the concerned DISCOM / Power Department.
• From this amount, Rs. 20 Lakh will be given to the division of DISCOM/Power Department with highest number of households electrified.
• Certificate of appreciation would be given to five officials of concerned DISCOM of any level from managing Director to Lineman.
• The second quantum of award includes cash award of Rs 100 crore as grant to the concerned DISCOM to be spent in distribution infrastructure development in their area of operation.
• Other DISCOMs or Power Department of the States that achieves 100 percent household electrification by December 31, 2018 would be provided certificate of appreciation for five officials of any level from Managing Director to Lineman.
Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana (Saubhagya)
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Rs 16320-Crore ‘Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana'- Saubhagya on September 25, 2017 to mark the birth anniversary of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya.
• The scheme aims to achieve the goal of universal household electrification in the country by March 31, 2019.
• The scheme envisages providing last mile connectivity and electricity connections to all remaining households in rural as well as urban areas.
• With the support of State Power Departments and DISCOMs, more than 1.65 crore households have already been connected since the launch of scheme.
• The Eligibility for free electricity will be identified through Caste Census of 2011 and on the basis of Socio-Economic.
• The Households that do not fall under the free criteria of this scheme will be provided electricity at a sum of Rs 500.
• To identify and register beneficiaries under the Saubhagya scheme, a mobile app will be used.
• Households in remote areas like hilly or tribal areas where providing electricity is not feasibile, will be provided with solar power packs of 200 to 300 Wp (Watt peak).
• The Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC) has been appointed as the nodal agency for the implementation of the Saubhagya scheme.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.