The Union Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram on 5 December 2016 launched the ‘Stanpan Suraksha’ mobile application to promote breastfeeding and keep a check on inapt promotion of baby food items in the country.
The mobile application was developed by the Breastfeeding Promotion Network of India (BPNI).
Highlights of Stanpan Suraksha app
• It is first-of-its-kind app that aims to promote breastfeeding and baby food promotion reporting mechanism.
• If anyone comes across any inapt promotion of baby food, he or she just has to click a photograph of inappropriate baby food promotion and send it to BPNI.
• It also has a city-wise database of trained breastfeeding counsellor to educate and provide assistance to mothers during antenatal and postnatal period.
• Moreover, it provides sign up option for mothers who wish to become a breastfeeding counsellor.
• It will also be able to gather incremental evidence on promotion of baby foods from remote locations as well.
• Undermining of the breastfeeding practices has spread in the country in the recent times mainly due to cultural barriers and myths associated with breastfeeding.
• Around 79 percent of the babies are delivered in institutions and out of this, only 45 percent are given breast milk in the first hour.
• To address this problem, Union Government launched MAA (Mothers Absolute Affection) programme to promote breastfeeding.
When: 5 December 2016