Union Government launches Swachh Shakti Saptah to highlight women’s role in Swachh Bharat Mission
Swachh Shakti Saptaah will culminate with a mega-event in Gujarat named Swachh Shakti 2017 where the Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address 6000 women sarpanches
Union Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation Narendra Singh Tomar on 1 March 2017 launched Swachh Shakti Saptah, a week-long programme of activities across the country to highlight the role of women in Swachh Bharat Mission and to recognize their leadership.
The Ministry made the national launch of Swachh Shakti Saptaah in Gurugram, Haryana, at a joint event with the Haryana Government.
• The launch was done with release of balloons by ground level women leaders, inauguration of a sanitation related exhibition and a series of folk cultural presentation relating to women and Swachhta.
• Deputy Commissioners of 11 ODF (Open Defecation Free) districts of Haryana were honoured on the occasion.
• Over 1000 women swachhta champions from grassroots in Haryana attended the event.
• The launch marked the achievement of Swachh Bharat Milestone as over 100 districts in India were declared as ODF districts and over 1.7 lakh villages have become ODF.
• Moreover, throughout the week, there will be nationwide events honouring women champions, women sarpanches, ASHA workers, school teachers, young students and senior citizens.
• The Swachh Shakti Saptaah will culminate with a mega-event in Gujarat named Swachh Shakti 2017 where the Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address 6000 women sarpanches and honour them for their contribution to Swachh Bharat.
About Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM)
Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 2 October 2014 with an aim to make India Open Defecation Free (ODF) by 2019. Up to June 2016 in India, out of 686 districts, only 16 districts were declared ODF.
The mission was proposed to be achieved by creating awareness, construction of Household toilets, public toilets, school, anganwadi toilets and solid waste management.