The Department of Science and Technology (DST) under Ministry of Science and Technology on 22 June 2017 launched the Visiting Advanced Joint Research Faculty (VAJRA) scheme in a bid to bring together the Indian scientists abroad and India-based researchers for conducting joint researches in India.
The web portal of VAJRA was launched by Union Minister of Science and Technology Harsh Vardhan.
Highlights of the scheme
• Under this scheme, scientists or senior researchers abroad of Indian origin can collaborate with faculties here in India.
• Foreign researchers will receive endowments at par with those in their own countries.
• The endowments for faculties would be USD 15000 in the first month of residency and USD 10000, for the remaining months.
• The broad areas of research like energy, health, advance material and others will be promoted under the scheme.
• The area of research under taken by the Faculty should be of interest to India including translation of science to practice.
• Faculty can also do teaching or mentoring during the period of stay in India. They could also act as mentors of start-ups housed at the Institution.
The motive behind the launching of VAJRA scheme is to bring the best of the world to India and conduct research here. It aims to convert brain-drain into brain-gain.
When: 22 June 2017