The Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment on 14 April 2016 notified the Scheduled Castes (SC) and the Scheduled Tribes (ST) (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Rules, 2016.
The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989 was amended by Parliament in 2016. The rules have now been framed to give effect to the amended provisions. These rules will speed up the process of dispensation of justice to victims of atrocities.
Provisions of the SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 2016
• Completion of investigation and filing of charge sheet in the court within sixty days.
• Provision of relief for offences of rape and gang rape.
• Delinking requirement of medical examination for getting relief amount for non-invasive kind of offences against women like sexual harassment, gestures or acts intended to insult the modesty of women.
• Provision of admissible relief amount to SC/ST women for offences of grievous nature, on conclusion of trial, even though not ending in conviction.
• Increase in the existing quantum of relief amount to between 85000 rupees to 825000 rupees depending upon the nature of the offence, while linking it with the Consumer Price Index for Industrial Workers for the month of January 2016.
• Provision of admissible relief in cash or in kind or both within seven days to the victims of atrocity, their family members and dependents.
• Rationalization of the phasing of payment of relief amount to victims for various offences of atrocities.
• Regular Reviews of the scheme for the rights and entitlements of victims and witnesses in accessing justice at the State, District and Sub-Division Level Committees in their respective meetings.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 14 April 2016