The Department of Posts under the Union Ministry of Communications on 26 December 2016 released the special stamp on freedom fighter Gaya Prasad Katiyar.
Moreover, the government also released a set of eight Commemorative Postage Stamps on 'Personalities Series: Bihar'. The postal department also launched a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Hardayal Municipal Heritage Public Library to honor it as a one of the few oldest library of the country.
The Ministry released the postage stamps on these following eight personalities of Bihar:
• Sachchidananda Sinha
• Karpoori Thakur
• Dashrath Manjhi
• Kailashpati Mishra
• Kunwar Singh
• Phanishwar Nath Renu
• Krishna Sinha
About Gaya Prasad Katiyar
• Gaya Prasad Katiyar was one of the most dedicated soldiers of India’s freedom struggle.
• He was born at Jagadishpur, UP and joined Hindustan Socialist Republican Association in 1925.
• He got connected with Chandra Shekhar Azad and Bhagat Singh during his freedom struggle.
• He participated on Lahore Conspiracy Case and was arrested from Saharanpur in 1929.
• Later he was transported to Cellular jail in Andaman and again he participated on hunger strike there.
• He was repatriated in 1937 but again arrested and transported to cellular jail from where he was released in 1946.
About Hardayal Municipal Public Library
• It is situated in the heart of Chandni Chowk and is one of the very few oldest buildings that have been able to withstand the onslaught of modern times.
• The library was set up in 1862 and has a unique collection of more than 170000 books in Hindi, English, Urdu, Arabic, Persian and Sanskrit.
• This is one of the few Libraries in the world with a collection of at least 8000 rare books.
When: 26 December 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.