The Union Ministry of Rural Development on 20 July 2017 announced that it will launch a new sub-scheme Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY) under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM).
The Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana aims to provide an alternative source of livelihoods to members of Self Help Groups (SHGs) under DAY-NRLM by facilitating them to operate public transport services in backward rural areas.
The sub-scheme will provide safe, affordable and community monitored rural transport services like e-rickshaws, 3 and 4 wheeler motorised transport vehicles to connect remote villages with key services and amenities including access to markets, education and health for the overall economic development of the area.
Key highlights of the scheme
• The Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana will be implemented in 250 blocks in India on a pilot basis for a period of 3 years from 2017-18 to 2019-20.
• The States have been informed about the number of blocks allocated to them to take up this sub-scheme in the pilot phases.
• One of the options proposed to be given under the sub-scheme is that the Community Based Organisation (CBO) will provide interest free loan from its own corpus to Self Help Group member for purchase of the vehicle.
• The Government is implementing DAY-NRLM across the country in all States and Union Territories (except Delhi and Chandigarh).
• Under DAY-NRLM, till date, 34.4 lakh women Self Help Groups have been promoted under the programme.
• The financial support under the programme is mainly in the form of Revolving Fund and Community Investment Funds, given as grants to the Self Help Groups and their federations.
• The programme has a special focus on women empowerment including a dedicated component for promoting farm and non-farm based livelihoods for women farmers in rural areas.
• In addition, start-up enterprises at village levels are also supported to promote entrepreneurial activities in those areas. Projects have been sanctioned for setting up 79,814 enterprises in 5209 villages in 17 states in the country.
Who: Union Government
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports