The Union Minister for Human Resource Development, Prakash Javadekar presented the Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar 2017-18 on September 18, 2018 at Dr Ambedkar International Centre in New Delhi, as a part of the Swachhata Hi Seva campaign launched by PM Narendra Modi on September 15, 2018.
This year, for the first time, the award has been extended to private schools besides government and government aided schools.
The award was launched as a follow up to the Swachh Vidyalaya Initiative launched in 2014. Under Swachh Vidyalaya Initiative, a record number of 417796 toilets were constructed in 261400 schools, including 190887 girls’ toilets in one year up to August 15, 2015.
Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar 2017-18
• The methodology for the awards was evolved in consultation with the UNICEF and Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI), the Implementation and Technical partners for the awards.
• The schools voluntarily applied online through a website and mobile App for the awards.
• Schools were rated through a transparent mechanism on five broad parameters – Water, Toilet, Hand washing with Soap, Operations and Maintenance, and Behaviour Change and Capacity Building.
• Out of 52 Awardee schools, 37 schools are from rural areas and 15 from urban areas.
• A total of 45 schools are government/government aided; 7 are private schools; 24 are elementary and 28 are secondary/higher secondary schools.
• The awardee schools also include 5 Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalayas and 2 Navodaya Vidyalayas.
• 4 States (Puducherry, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh) and 9 districts (Pondicherry, Srikakulam, Chandigarh, Hisar, Karaikal, Latur, Nellore, South Goa, Vadodara) will also be awarded with Certificate of Recognition for having maximum number of schools awarded with National Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar.
• Awardee schools will be given an additional school grant of Rs 50,000 along with Certificate of Recognition.
When was the award launched and why?
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
CBI-Alok Verma Dispute: SC orders CVC to hand over probe report to Alok Verma for his response
SC issues directions to 8 High Courts, State Governments on appointment of Judges
NITI Aayog organises South Asian Regional Conference on Urban Infrastructure
NITI Aayog constitutes 'Himalayan State Regional Council'