UP emerged as the biggest exporter of Buffalo meat
UP emerged as the biggest exporter of Buffalo Meat with 40% export growth.
Uttar Pradesh (UP) with a share of 67% has emerged as the biggest exporter of buffalo meat from the country followed by Punjab and Maharashtra, said a recent FICCI report.
The report also noted that apart from having the country's largest buffalo population, UP also has the highest number of abattoirs-cum-meat processing export units.
Buffalo meat production in the state has been increasing gradually since 2007-08 but since 2010 it increased by 40%.
UP ranks third in meat production and the state has a large livestock population, representing 10% of the cattle and over 25% of the buffalos in India.
About Buffalo Meat
• India's livestock population includes, 88 million buffaloes, which is 58 per cent of the world's buffalo population.
• Buffalo contributes about 30% of total meat production in the country.
• The major areas for Buffalo Meat production are Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Punjab.
• The country has exported 1106.96 thousand MT of buffalo meat products to the world for the worth of 17,400.59 crores Rupee.
• Major Export Destinations in 2012-13 are: Vietnam Social Republic, Malaysia, Thailand, Egypt Arab Republic, Saudi Arabia and Jordan.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs