The Union Government on 19 October 2015 named veteran sports administrator Vijay Kumar Malhotra as the President of the All India Council of Sports. His position will be in the rank of Minister of State.
The council also includes former sportspersons, including PT Usha, Limba Ram, N Kunjarani Devi, IM Vijayan, Baichung Bhutia and P Gopichand.
Malhotra acted as the Senior Vice President of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and the acting President of the IOA after the arrest of Suresh Kalmadi in connection with the alleged irregularities in awarding contracts for the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
Malhotra had also been the President of the General Association of National Sports Federations and the President of the Archery Association of India.
He was born on 3 December 1931 in Lahore, Pakistan. He holds a Doctorate in Hindi Literature.
About All India Council of Sports
The Government of India on 24 July 2015 constituted the All India Council of Sports as an advisory body for the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
The council advises the Ministry on matters relating to the promotion and development of sports and games in the country.
A few of the objectives of the council are:
• Popularizing sports amongst the youth as a way of life
• Increasing outreach of sports to rural and tribal areas, areas affected by Left Wing Extremism (LWE), North-East and Jammu & Kashmir
• Implementation of policies for promotion of sports and games in the country
• Preventing drug abuse in sports, fraud of age and sexual harassment of women in sports
• Promotion of sports sciences and sports medicine
• Integration of sports in educational curriculum in schools, colleges and universities
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: VK Malhotra
When: 19 October 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.