15 January to 21 January 2018: JagranJosh weekly quizzes will help you revise for competitive exams at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences of the week. The quizzes in this week’s segment cover topics including Vajra Prahar joint military exercise, world's biggest flooded cave and the appointment of Minister for Loneliness among others.
1. Which country’s President has ordered to re-impose a ban on women buying alcohol?
d) Sri Lanka
2. India is going to conduct a joint military exercise called ‘Vajra Prahar’ with which nation?
c) Sri Lanka
3. Which messenger service application has launched its business version to enable businesses to communicate better with their customers globally?
4. Moshe Holtzberg, the toddler who survived the 26/11 terror attacks that took the lives of his parents along with hundreds of others, recently returned to the city for the first time post the attack. Which nation does he originally belong to?
5. Archaeologists have discovered the World's Biggest Flooded Cave in which nation?
6. The UIDA has introduced which new means of Aadhaar authentication?
7. Which Indian IT firm has signed a deal worth over 690 mn dollars with M&G Prudential?
b) Tech Mahindra
c) Tata Consultancy Services
8. Which historical war memorial in India has been renamed after the Israeli city of Haifa?
a) India Gate
b) Mutiny Memorial
c) National War Memorial
d) Teen Murti
9. Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh has been appointed as the Chief of Staff of which naval command?
a) Western Naval Command
b) Southern Naval Command
c) Eastern Naval Command
d) Coastal Naval Command
10. Which country has built the world’s largest air purifier to fight pollution?
11. Which country has become the first one to be connected to India’s National Knowledge Network?
a) Sri Lanka
12. Which cricketer was named ICC Cricketer of the Year 2017?
a) AB de Villiers
b) Virat Kohli
c) Steve Smith
d) Rohit Sharma
13. Which country has appointed a Minister for Loneliness to tackle the issue of loneliness in the nation?
14. Which state cabinet has approved 1 per cent reservation for orphans in government jobs?
a) Uttar Pradesh
15. Survey suggests that students of which nation are too busy for playtime?
Answers with Explanation
1. (d) Sri Lanka
Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena has ordered to re-impose ban on women buying alcohol or working in places that sell or manufacture liquor, few days after it was lifted by his government. The recent removal of a 39-year ban for women had attracted wide media attention and was welcomed by woman and intellectual groups.
2. (b) US
The Indo-US joint military exercise ‘Vajra Prahar’ will be undertaken at the Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Seattle, US in the third week of January. The exercise would see a 45-member Special Forces team from Indian Army’s Southern Command train alongside US soldiers.
3. (b) Whatsapp
Leading messenger application Whatsapp on 18 January 2018 launched ‘Whatsapp Business’, a free-to-download Android app for small businesses to help the businesses communicate better with their customers globally including in India.
4. (b) Israel
Moshe Holtzberg, the Israeli boy who survived the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks as a toddler but lost his parents, returned to Mumbai recently. This is his first visit to the city since the attacks by Pakistani terrorists over nine years ago that killed 166 people.
5. (c) Mexico
A group of archaeologist has discovered the world’s biggest flooded cave in Mexico. The divers connected two underwater caverns in eastern Mexico to reveal what is believed to be the biggest flooded cave on the planet.
6. (a) Face
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDA) on 15 January 2018 introduced face authentication as an additional means of Aadhaar authentication along with fingerprint and iris scan. The move will enable easy authentication for those individuals who face difficulties in other biometric authentication such as fingerprint and iris scan.
7. (c) Tata Consultancy Services
India's largest IT services firm Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) on 16 January 2018 signed a deal worth over USD 690 million with M&G Prudential, the UK and European savings and investments business of Prudential plc. Under the contract, TCS will digitally transform M&G Prudential's business and deliver enhanced service for its UK savings and retirement customers.
8. (d) Teen Murti
The Teen Murti Chowk in central Delhi was formally renamed as Teen Murti-Haifa, after Israeli city Haifa in a solemn ceremony attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu on 14 January 2018.
9. (a) Western Naval Command
Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh, AVSM, VSM took over as Chief of Staff, Western Naval Command on 15 January 2018. AB Singh would be succeeding Vice Admiral Ravneet Singh, AVSM, NM. Prior to his appointment to the post, Vice Admiral AB Singh served as the Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Strategic Forces Command.
10. (c) China
China has constructed an experimental air purifying tower called the Xian smog tower, which is touted to be the ‘world’s biggest air purifier’, to combat its severe smog and air pollution. The tower is undergoing tests by researchers of the Institute of Earth Environment at the Chinese Academy of Sciences. It is reported to be having a positive effect on the air quality in the area.
11. (a) Sri Lanka
India and Sri Lanka signed four agreements on 15 January 2018 for collaboration in the Information and communication technology (ICT) sector, setting up of an e-office system and connecting of National Knowledge Network (NKN) for collaboration among universities and academics. With the move, Sri Lanka has become the first country to be connected to India’s NKN through a Gigabyte optical fibre network.
12. (b) Virat Kohli
Indian Captain Virat Kohli was named the ICC Men’s Cricketer of the Year at the ICC annual awards, which were announced in Dubai on 18 January 2018.The award is courtesy the 29-year-old’s splendid form during the qualification period, which was from September 2016 till the end of 2017, when he knocked up a total of 2203 runs including 8 centuries in tests, 1818 runs with 7 centuries in ODIs and 299 runs in T20 Internationals.
13. (c) UK
The Prime Minister of United Kingdom, Theresa May on 17 January 2018 announced the appointment of Sports minister Tracey Crouch as the country’s first ‘Minister for loneliness’. The move has been made to tackle the isolation felt by more than one in ten people in the UK. In her additional role, Tracey Crouch would be required to develop a strategy to address loneliness in the nation.
14. (d) Maharashtra
The Maharashtra state cabinet on 17 January 2018 approved one per cent reservation for orphans in government jobs under the general category. Speaking on the development, the state’s Women and Child Welfare Minister Pankaja Munde said that it will help rehabilitate orphan children and secure their future.
15. (c) China
According to a survey released on 18 January 2018, about 48.9 percent of primary and middle school students in China take private lessons. More than half of the students surveyed said that they have to bury their heads in books and had no time to play after school.