28 August to 3 September 2017: JagranJosh weekly quizzes will help you revise for competitive exams at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences of the week. The quizzes in this week’s segment cover topics including new Chief Justice of India, Winner of 2017 BWF World Championships, National Sports day and new Uber CEO among others.
1. Who was sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India recently?
a) Justice Dipak Misra
b) Justice JS Khehar
c) Justice H. J. Kania
d) Justice H. L. Dattu
2. The Union Government has constituted a task force on Artificial Intelligence (AI) for the country's Economic Transformation. Who of the following will be heading this task force on Artificial Intelligence?
a) Dr. Ashish Dutta
b) Dr. Shantanu Chaudhary
c) Dr. Anurag Agarwal
d) Dr. V Kamakoti
3. Who of the following was crowned as the 2017 Miss TransQueen India?
c) Nitasha Biswas
d) Laeticia Raveena
4. India’s PV Sindhu settled for the silver medal at the 2017 BWF World Championships. Who of the following won the gold?
a) Nozomi Okuhara
b) Carolina Marin
c) Wang Shixian
d) Wang Yihan
5. Name the boxer who in August 2017 became the only second Indian to enter semi-finals in the debut world championship at the World Boxing Championship.
a) Vikas Krishan
b) Shiva Thapa
c) Gaurav Bidhuri
d) None of the above
6. The Union Cabinet recently approved an MoU with which of the following countries for conservation of Earthquake-Damaged Pagodas?
7. The Union Cabinet recently gave its approval to an MoU on Industrial R&D and Technological Innovation Fund. The MoU is signed with which of the following countries?
a) United Kingdom
8. India and this country/group on 30 August 2017 agreed to strengthen cooperation between their security and intelligence agencies to combats the threat of terrorism.
b) The United States of America
d) European Union
9. India has signed an agreement on technical cooperation to ensure grid stability & integration of renewable energy into grid with which nation?
10. Who was awarded with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award 2017?
a) GSSV Prasad
b) Brij Bhushan Mohanty
c) PA Raphel
d) Sardar Singh
11. The National Sports day is celebrated on this day to mark the birth anniversary of legendary Hockey player Dhyan Chand.
a) 28 August
b) 29 August
c) 30 August
d) 1 September
12. Who was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Uber?
a) Dara Khosrowshahi
b) Travis Kalanick
c) Garrett Camp
d) Thuan Pham
13. Who of the following won the 2016-17 UEFA Men’s Player of the Year Award?
a) Cristiano Ronaldo
b) Lionel Messi
c) Gianluigi Buffon
d) Franck Ribéry
14. The Textiles Ministry has proposed to organise Pan India camps for weavers and artisans to commemorate the birth centenary year of which former politician?
a) Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay
b) Indira Gandhi
c) B.R. Ambedkar
d) R Venkataraman
15. Indian conglomerate Adani group has collaborated for defence manufacturing with which nation’s defence and aerospace company?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Justice Dipak Misra
Justice Misra succeeds Chief Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar who demitted office on 27 August 2017. With this, Misra became the third from Odisha to assume charge as the Chief Justice of India (CJI). The other two were Justices Ranganath Misra and G B Pattanaik.
2. (d) Dr. V Kamakoti
The Union Government on 25 August 2017 constituted a task force on Artificial Intelligence (AI) for the country's Economic Transformation. The 18-member panel, headed by Dr. V. Kamakoti of IIT Madras, will comprise of experts, academics, researchers and industry leaders.
3. (c) Nitasha Biswas
Nitasha Biswas, a transwoman from Kolkata, on 27 August 2017 was crowned the first Miss TransQueen India. The competition was held in Gurugram, Haryana. Manipur’s Loiloi was crowned the first runner-up while Ragasiya.k from Chennai bagged the second runner-up position.
4. (a) Nozomi Okuhara
Nozomi Okuhara of Japan on 27 August 2017 defeated PV Sindhu 19-21, 22-20, 20-22 to claim the 2017 BWF World Championships. The final match was held at Emirates Arena in Glasgow, Scotland.
5. (c) Gaurav Bidhuri
Wild card entrant Gaurav Bidhuri became only the fourth Indian boxer ever to secure himself a medal as he entered the semi finals of the World Championships after defeating Tunisia's Bilel Mhamdi in Hamburg, Germany. With this, Gaurav became the second from the country to do so in his debut world championship. The only other Indian to have achieved the feat was Vikas Krishan, in the 2011 edition.
6. (d) Myanmar
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Myanmar for the conservation of earthquake-damaged pagodas at Bagan, Myanmar. The MoU will be signed during the visit of the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi to Myanmar during 6-7 September 2017.
7. (b) Israel
The Union Cabinet, presided by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on 30 August 2017 approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Israel. The MoU is on India-Israel Industrial R&D and Technological Innovation Fund (I4F), which was concluded in July 2017.
8. (d) European Union
To combat the threat of terrorism and check terror financing, India and the European Union on 30 August 2017 agreed to strengthen cooperation between their security and intelligence agencies. The agreement was reached in New Delhi during the 10th India-European Union Counter Terrorism Dialogue.
9. (b) Germany
India and Germany signed an agreement on technical cooperation under the Indo-German Energy Programme – Green Energy Corridors (IGEN-GEC) on 28 August 2017. The main objective of this programme is to improve the sector framework and conditions for grid integration of renewable energies with conventional power grids.
10. (d) Sardar Singh
President Ram Nath Kovind on 29 August 2017 presented the National Sports and Adventure Awards 2017 at Rashtrapati Bhavan on the occasion of National Sports Day. Para athlete Devendra and hockey player Sardar Singh were honoured with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
11. (b) 29 August
India celebrated its National Sports Day on 29 August 2017. The day is annually celebrated on this day to mark the birth anniversary of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand. On this occasion, President Ram Nath Kovind will give away the National Sports Awards this evening. A total of 29 players have been selected to receive the honours from President.
12. (a) Dara Khosrowshahi
The Board of Director of Uber appointed Iranian-American Dara Khosrowshahi as the company's new Chief Executive Officer (CEO). He is the incumbent CEO of Expedia. He will replace former CEO and co-founder Travis Kalanick.
13. (a) Cristiano Ronaldo
Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo in August 2017 was named the 2016-17 UEFA Men’s Player of the Year Award. He picked up the trophy for the second consecutive season and third time in total, having also received the accolade in 2013-14.
14.(a) Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay
The Ministry of Textiles on 28 August 2017 proposed to organise Pan India camps in handlooms and handicrafts clusters, under the ‘Hastkala Sahyog Shivir’ initiative. The initiative is dedicated to Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay ‘Garib Kalyan Varsh’, the birth centenary year of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay - late senior leader of Bharatiya Jana Sangh, the forerunner of the present day Bharatiya Janata Party.
15. (a) Sweden
Swedish defence giant Saab and Indian conglomerate Adani group announced a collaboration in defence manufacturing on 1 September 2017. The collaboration, involving billions of dollars of investment, mainly eyes a contract for single- engine fighter jets for the Indian Air Force.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.