30 April to 6 May 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like WADA report, PC Chandra Puraskaar 2018 and longest serving Chief Minister of India among others.
1. Who was chosen for the 2017 Saraswati Samman?
a) Sitanshu Yashaschandra
b) Ramakant Kumar
c) Vijay Tendulkar
d) Mahesh Bhumi
2. Who was appointed as the new coach of Indian men’s hockey team?
a) Harendra Singh
b) Jagbir Singh
c) Sjoerd Marijne
d) Dhanraj Pillay
3. What was the India’s rank in the list of doping violations, as per latest report of World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)?
4. Which state has emerged as best in the country in prevention of parent-to-child transmission of HIV?
a) Tamil Nadu
d) West Bengal
5. Which scheme was approved in the health sector beyond 12th Five Year Plan for the period from 2017-18 to 2019-20?
a) Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana
b) Krishonnati Yojana
c) Kanaya Swasthya Jyoti Scheme
d) Rashtriya Krishi Suraksha Yojana
6. Which country is not the full member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation?
7. Which African country recently legalised the marijuana for medical purposes?
8. Who was honoured with the PC Chandra Puraskaar 2018?
a) Asha Bhosle
b) Sonu Nigam
c) Lata Mangeshkar
d) Sharmila Tagore
9. Who became India’s longest serving Chief Minister of India?
a) Pawan Chamling
b) Jyoti Basu
c) Raman Singh
d) Shivraj Singh Chauhan
10. Who became the Principal Director General of the Press Information Bureau (PIB)?
a) Frank Noronha
b) Nakul Mehta
c) Varsha Suri
d) Sitanshu Kar
11. Which country will host the multi-nation counter-terrorism exercise “Peace Mission 2018”?
12. Which Indian-American has been appointed interim civil court judge in the United States?
a) Deepa Ambekar
b) Mira Nair
c) Nikki Haley
d) Nina Davuluri
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Sitanshu Yashaschandra
Sitanshu Yashaschandra, the Gujarati poet, has been selected for the 2017 Saraswati Samman for his collection of verses titled ‘Vakhar’.
2. (a) Harendra Singh
Hockey India on May 1, 2018 appointed women’s hockey coach Harendra Singh as the chief coach of the Indian men’s hockey team, replacing Sjoerd Marijne who will return back to his responsibility as coach of the Indian Women’s Hockey Team.
3. (c) 6th
India was ranked sixth in the list of doping violations with 69 cases, same as that of Russia, according to World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) report. India improved its position to sixth after being third for three consecutive years from 2013 to 2015.
4. (d) West Bengal
West Bengal was adjudged as the best State in the country in the prevention of parent-to-child transmission of HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus), which leads to AIDS.
5. (a) Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana
The Union Cabinet on May 2, 2018 approved the continuation of Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) beyond the 12th Five Year Plan for a period of three year from 2017-18 to 2019-20 with the financial outlay of Rs 14832 crores.
6. (b) Israel
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), a China-dominated security grouping, was constituted in 2001 at a summit in Shanghai by the Presidents of Russia, China, Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. Now, the group has eight full members including India, Pakistan and Uzbekistan.
7. (c) Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe has become the second African country to legalise marijuana for medical and scientific purposes. Lesotho was the first African country to legalise marijuana in 2017 for medical purposes.
8. (a) Asha Bhosle
Asha Bhosle was honoured with the Lifetime 26th P C Chandra Puraskaar 2018 at the Science City auditorium in Mumbai, Maharashtra on April 29, 2018. The award carries an honorarium of Rs 10 lakh which is tax exempted.
9. (a) Pawan Chamling
Pawan Chamling has created history by becoming the longest serving Chief Minister in India. He surpassed the record of former communist ruler of West Bengal, Late Jyoti Basu. Chamling became the Chief Minister of Sikkim on December 12, 1994 and has ruled the tiny Himalayan state ever since.
10. (d) Sitanshu Kar
Sitanshu Kar, a 1983-batch Indian Information Service (IIS) officer, became the Principal Director General of the Press Information Bureau (PIB). He succeeded Frank Noronha, who had held the post since 2014.
11. (b) Russia
The multi-nation counter-terrorism exercise “Peace Mission” will be held at the Ural mountains of Russia in September 2018, under the framework of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
12. (a) Deepa Ambekar
Indian-American Deepa Ambekar has been appointed as the interim judge to a US civil court of New York City. She has become the second Indian-American woman judge in the city after Chennai-born Raja Rajeswari.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
CBI-Alok Verma Dispute: SC orders CVC to hand over probe report to Alok Verma for his response
SC issues directions to 8 High Courts, State Governments on appointment of Judges
NITI Aayog organises South Asian Regional Conference on Urban Infrastructure
NITI Aayog constitutes 'Himalayan State Regional Council'