West Bengal government passed West Bengal Land Reforms (Amendment) Bill 2014
The West Bengal government passed the West Bengal Land Reforms (Amendment) Bill, 2014.
The West Bengal government on 19 November 2014 passed the West Bengal Land Reforms (Amendment) Bill, 2014 relaxed the cap on private land holding.
Amendments of Land reforms Bill
• The amendment will allow development of large housing projects and included in the exempted category.
• It also allowed the industrialists to keep the allotted land of 24 acres unused under Section 14Y for a maximum period of five years instead of three years.
• In 2011, then West Bengal government removed township development from exempted category which slowed down the pace of several housing projects.
• According to Land Reforms Act-1955, No person will be allowed to keep land above 24.7 acres.
• It also allowed exemptions were made on the ceiling of land marked for various other industries such as transportation or terminal, logistic hub, financial and logistic hub, educational and medical institutions, oil and gas products piped transportation, mining and allied activities.