As we all know that Science is the intellectual and practical activity which surrounds the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. Sometimes we stuck into various thoughts and different ways of thinking and need to blow our mind to think outside the box. These 15 amazing facts about science will make you think that science is not only we read in books but more than that which really fascinates you.
1. Do you know that during an average lifetime, the heart pumps nearly 1.5 million barrels of blood which is enough to fill 200 train tank cars?
2. Do you have any idea that one inch of rain is equal to 10 inches of snow
Around 30 degrees temperature one inch of liquid is precipitated and would fall as 10 inches of snow assuming that all the storm is snow.
3. Amazing Helium super fluid climbs on wall and does not follow gravity law.
At 2.17K temperature which is very close to absolute zero also known as lambda Point, an unbelievable changes occurs in the properties of liquid helium i.e part of this liquid becomes a ‘superfluid’ i.e. a zeroviscosity fluid which moves rapidly through any pore in the apparatus.
4. Have you tried that in a glass of water when you pour a handful of salt, the level of water does down.
Actually the overall volume of water in a glass decreases by up to 2 % by adding a handful of salt. This happens: the net reduction in the volume of glass of water is due to the solvent molecules which become more ordered in the vicinity of dissolved ions.
5. Do you know the name of a person who could write his address in chemical elements
His name was Chemist Glenn Seaborg. He would write Sg, Lr, Bk, Cf , Am.
Where: Sg stands for Seaborgium which is named after Seaborg.
Lr stands for Lawrencium which is named after the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
Bk stands for Berkelium which is named after the city of Berkeley
Cf stands for Californium which is named after the state of California and
Am stands for Americum which is named after America.
Isn’t it strange!!
6. One more interesting fact is Ninety minutes of sweating can temporarily shrink the brain as much as one year of aging.
7. Do you know that some metals when comes in contact with water can even explode due to its reactivity. This happens when Sodium (Na) reacts with water.
Some metals when exposed to air oxidises instantly because they are so reactive like Sodium, Potassium, Lithium, Rubidium and Caesium and can even produce explosions when dropped into water. As we know that these are alkali metals and have only one electron in their outer shell due to which they can lose it to other metals via sharing and forming bond and so they don’t exist independently in nature.
8. The only reliable pregnancy test until 1960’s was to take a female African clawed frog and inject a woman’s urine in to it. If frog ovulates within 12 hours the woman is pregnant.
9. Do you know that in a whole life time the average person walks equivalent of three times around the world and an average person accidentally eats 430 bugs each year of their life. Strange!!!
10. DNA is also a flame retardant
Researchers found that coating cotton cloth with DNA the genetic material inside it reduces the fabric’s flammability. It is due to the phosphate present in DNA, when it is heated it produces phosphoric acid which replaces the water in cotton fibres and act as a flame-retarded residue. In fact bases present in DNA which contains nitrogen produces ammonia which inhibits combustion.
11. Have anyone told you that while sleeping we have no sense of smell.
In 2004, at Brown University, researchers found that among the six people they tested – three healthy men and three healthy women, aged 20 to 25 years old – all could be jostled awake disrupted by noise but none were stirred by odours. This proves that when we sleep we don’t sense smell.
12. The enzymes which help in digestion can even start eating you within three days of death.
13. A person may dreams 15000 times a year on an average.
14. Do you know that when a baby is born he or she has only one cup of blood in his/her body and one in every 2000 babies is born with a tooth or teeth. Amazing!!
15. Opiorphin is a painkiller which is present in our saliva which is six times more powerful than morphine.