A gas is a state of matter that does not have a definite shape and volume. It confirms the shape of a container in which it is held and even in the presence of gravity, it acquires a uniform density inside the container. Along with solid, liquid and plasma it is one of the four fundamentals of matter. A gas may consist of atoms of one element like hydrogen or of compounds like carbon dioxide or mixtures like air, natural gas, etc. The atoms or molecules of matter in the gaseous state move freely among each other as compared to solids or liquids. This article deals with important gases and their uses in the form of questions and answers.
1. Name the gas which is found in abundance in earth in both combine and free state with other elements?
2. Name an inert diatomic gas which is neither combustible nor helps in combustion?
A. Carbon Dioxide
D. None of the above
3. Name a gas which is used in refrigeration and in fire extinguisher?
C. Carbon Dioxide
4. Name a gas which is used in the manufacture of vanaspati ghee, alcohol and ammonia?
5. Name a gas used as rocket propellant and in welding also?
What is SMOG and how it is harmful for us?
6. Name a tear gas which is used in riots?
C. CS gas
D. Nitrous Oxide
7. Name a gas used in high speed photography?
A. Nitrous Oxide
8. Name a gas which is separated from the air by passing an electric current through water?
A. Carbon Dioxide
9. Name a gas which is used in the fermentation of sugar?
D. Carbon Dioxide
10. Name a gas which is used in making chloroform?
From the above questions it is clear that what are gases and for what purpose they are used.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.