Oscars 2023 Quiz: Check Oscar Awards GK Quiz Questions and Answers Here
Oscar Awards GK Quiz Questions: Many consider the Academy Awards, also known as Oscars, to be the most prestigious and significant awards in the global entertainment industry. It is presented annually by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS). Every year, filmmakers, actors, and crew members from around the world gather to celebrate the best achievements in filmmaking from the previous year. The Oscars 2023 was another exciting event that showcased the best movies and performances from 2022. Winners of several categories are awarded a golden statuette as a trophy, commonly known as an Oscar, and the statuette depicts a knight rendered in the Art Deco style.
Take the quiz below based on the Oscars.
1. Why is the Academy Award known as the "Oscar"?
A. Bette Davis, the actress claimed that the Oscar name derived from her observation that the backside of the statuette looked like her husband, Harmon Oscar Nelson.
B. The name has also been attributed to academy librarian Margaret Herrick, who once said that the statuette looked like her Uncle Oscar.
C. Columnist Sidney Skolsky maintained that he gave the award its nickname.
D. All the above
Explanation: The nickname of the Academy Award statuette is Oscar, and it has three possible sources, namely,
1. Bette Davis, the actress claimed that the Oscar name derived from her observation that the backside of the statuette looked like her husband, Harmon Oscar Nelson.
2. The name has also been attributed to academy librarian Margaret Herrick, who once said that the statuette looked like her Uncle Oscar.
3. Columnist Sidney Skolsky maintained that he gave the award its nickname.
READ| Oscars 2022: Check full list of Winners and Nominees
2. In which of the following years were the first Oscar awards presented?
Explanation: In 1929, the Oscar awards were first presented. The winners of the awards receive a gold-plated statuette known as the Oscar.
3. Who was the 1st black actor to receive an Academy Award?
A. Hattie McDaniel
B. Morgan Freeman
C. Ariana DeBose
D. James Edward
Explanation: Hattie McDaniel made history by becoming the first black actor to win an Oscar. She won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for 1939 film "Gone with the Wind."
4. Which of the following won the Oscar for Best Feature Animated Film in 2023?
A. Turning Red
C. Marcel the Shell with Shoes on
D. None of the above
Explanation: Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio won the Oscars 2023 for the Best Animated Feature Film. It was a reimagined version of the classic tale of Pinocchio.
5. Which of the following movies holds the Guinness Book of World Record for the most Oscar Wins?
B. Avengers: Infinity War
C. Slumdog Millionaire
D. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Explanation: The third installment of The Lord of the Rings franchise, the Return of the King (2003), along with Ben-Hur (1959), and Titanic (1997) hold the Guinness Book of World Records for the most Oscar wins in the history of the awards. The three movies have won 11 Oscars each.
6. Which actor has won the most Oscars?
A. Cate Blanchett
B. Leonardo Di Caprio
C. Katherine Hepburn
D. None of the above
Explanation: Katherine Hepburn has won the most Academy Awards ever. The actor has won 4 Oscars and has been nominated 12 times.
7. Which of the following won the Best Costume Design Oscar in 2023?
A. Ruth Carter, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
B. Jenny Beavan. Mrs Harris Goes to Paris
C. Shirley Kurata, Everything Everywhere All At Once
D. Mary Zophres, Babylon
Explanation: Ruth Carter won the Oscar for Best Costume Design for her phenomenal work in the movie Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.
8. Which actor has the most Oscar nominations in history?
A. Marilyn Monroe
B. Katherine Hepburn
C. Meryl Streep
D. Al Pacino
Explanation: Meryl Streep, the actress who has played many iconic roles in several movies, is the most nominated actor in the history of the Academy Awards. Ms Streep has been nominated for the Oscars a whopping 21 times.
9. Who was the first African-American actor to win an Academy Award for Best Actor?
A. Sidney Poitier
B. Denzel Washington
C. Jamie Foxx
D. Forest Whitaker
Explanation: Sidney Poitier, who portrayed Homer Smith in 1963 Lillies of the Field won an Oscar for his role. Poitier won the prestigious award for “Best Actor” and became the first black actor to win in the category.
10. Who won the Best Actor award for "The Godfather" at the 1973 Oscars?
A. Al Pacino
B. Marlon Brando
C. James Caan
D. Robert Duvall
Explanation: Marlon Brando, who portrayed the role of Don Vito Corleone, considered to be one of the greatest and most iconic portrayals of all time, won the Best Actor at the Oscars of 1973.
READ| Oscars 2023: List of Indians who won the Oscar Awards