GK Quiz on Women in Art and Culture throughout history
All around the world, women have accomplished and earned their name in every field. Often they are overlooked or buried under, so here's a quiz: find out how much you know about the women throughout history in Art and Culture!
- Which of these actresses is also an outspoken animal rights activist?
- Mila Kunis
- Brigitte Bardot
- Selena Gomez
Correct Answer: b. Brigitte Bardot
An outspoken animal rights activist, Brigitte Bardot established an animal welfare organization, the Fondation Brigitte Bardot, in 1987.
- Which of these Australian singers was born Helen Mitchell?
- Joan Sutherland
- Olivia Newton
- Nellie Melba
Correct Answer: d. Nellie Melba
Nellie Melba, born Helen Mitchell, was an Australian coloratura soprano and a singer of great popularity.
- Which of these novelists also wrote under the pseudonym Barbara Vine?
- Ruth Rendell
- Jane Austen
- Mary Shelley
- Emily Brontë
Correct Answer: a. Ruth Rendell
Renowned for her mystery novels, psychological crime novels, and short stories, Ruth Rendell also wrote using the pseudonym Barbara Vine.
- Which of these comedic entertainers had a song that made the U.S. top 10?
- Fran Drescher
- Tracey Ullman
- Marilyn Monroe
- Jenny McCarthy
Correct Answer: b.Tracey Ullman
Before her TV career, Tracey Ullman had a flourishing singing career. Ultimately, she had three U.K. top 10 hits, notably ”They Don’t Know,” which also broke the top 10 in the United States in 1984.
- What was the name of Elizabeth Taylor’s first film?
- National Velvet
- Gone With The Wind
- There’s One Born Every Minute
Correct Answer: d. There’s One Born Every Minute
Elizabeth Taylor made her first film, There’s One Born Every Minute, in 1942.
- In which ballet did iconic English ballerina Margot Fonteyn first perform with Rudolf Nureyev?
- Black Swan
- The Blue Angel
- Modern Times
Correct Answer: a. Giselle
Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev first appeared together in 1962 in a ballet matinee production of Giselle organized by The Royal Ballet.
- Although she denied the connection, Frida Kahlo is often associated with which movement in visual arts?
- Modern art
Correct Answer: c. Surrealism
Best known for her uncompromising and brilliantly coloured self-portraits, Frida Kahlo is often identified as a Surrealist.
- For which of these films did director Kathryn Bigelow receive the Academy Award for best director?
- The Piano
- Lady Bird
- Don't Worry Darling
- The Hurt Locker
Correct Answer: d. The Hurt Locker
Kathryn Bigelow received the best director Academy Award for her 2008 low-budget film The Hurt Locker.
- In which of Agatha Christie’s novels did she introduce the fictional detective Miss Marple?
- A Pocket Full of Rye
- The Murder at the Vicarage
- Murder on the Orient Express
- Death on the Nile
Correct Answer: b. The Murder at the Vicarage
Renowned English writer Agatha Christie introduced her famous character Miss Marple in The Murder at the Vicarage (1930).