History of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (POK)

Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir (POK) historically belonged to the erstwhile princely state of Jammu and Kashmir which is integral part of India due to signing of Instrument of Accession but it is unlawfully occupied by the Pakistan in 1947.

History of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (POK)

At the time of the Independence of India in 1947, the British abandoned their claim over the princely states and allowed to take decision on the options of joining India or Pakistan or remaining independent. 

Hari Singh, then maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir, chose to remain independent dominion state.

Demography of Jammu and Kashmir in the past;

The state of Jammu and Kashmir was very diversified in 1947. The Valley of Kashmir, the most populous region, was a historically powerful kingdom, having population of Afghan-Turk and Arabs.

So population was 97% Muslim and remaining 3% religious minorities, mostly the Hindu community of Kashmiri Pandits.

The Jammu division's eastern districts had a Hindu majority population culturally inclined to  Himachal Pradesh. On the other hand western districts like Kotli, Poonch, and Mirpur had a Muslim majority culturally inclined to the West Punjab plains. 

Attack in Jammu and Kashmir

In 1947, an uprising against the Maharaja Hari Singh had broken out in Poonch. The reason behind this uprising was punitive taxes by the Hari Singh on the peasantry in the region. 

On 21 October 1947, several thousand Pashtun tribesmen from the North-West Frontier Province (NWFP) supported by the Pakistan army infiltrated into Jammu and Kashmir in order to liberate it from the Maharaja's rule. 

Soldiers of Maharaj tried to avert this invasion but the pro-Pakistan rebellions were armed with modern armaments and gained control of almost the entire Poonch district on 24 October 1947. 

The invaders captured the towns of Muzaffarabad and Baramulla and reached near twenty miles northwest of the State's capital Srinagar.

On 24 October 1947, the Maharaja requested the military assistance of India, which provided the assistance on the condition that Maharaja Hari Singh has to sign an "Instrument of Accession".

Maharaj Hari Singh singed the "Instrument of Accession" and handed over three subjects i.e. control of defense, external affairs and communications to the Government of India.

Indian troops were immediately airlifted into Srinagar while Pakistan intervened subsequently and war started between the Indian and Pakistani armies with the two areas of control stabilized and the regions won by the Pakistan supported rebellions remained with Pakistan which is now called Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (POK).

Which is in better position Indian Kashmir or Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir

The POK is administratively divided into two parts, which are called Jammu and Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan in official languages. 'Azad Jammu and Kashmir' is also known as the Azad Kashmir in Pakistan.

Azad Kashmir (AJK) is governed under the Azad Kashmir Interim Constitution Act,1974. 
Azad Kashmir (AJK) has a President, Prime Minister, and a council but the governing structure is totally powerless and works under the Pakistan government.

Districts in the POK

In the southern part of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, there are 8 districts:Neelam, Mirpur, Bhimbar, Kotli, Muzaffarabad, Bagh, Rawalakot and Sudhanoti. 

In the conclusion it can be concluded that Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (POK) is an integral part of the original Kashmir region, which has been under Pakistan’s unlawful control since 1947.

15 Interesting Facts and History about Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (POK)

13 Parameters to Compare India and China

Get the latest General Knowledge and Current Affairs from all over India and world for all competitive exams.
Jagran Play
खेलें हर किस्म के रोमांच से भरपूर गेम्स सिर्फ़ जागरण प्ले पर
Jagran PlayJagran PlayJagran PlayJagran Play