Asia is the largest continent and occupies about 30% of the total area of the Earth. It shares the continental landmass of Eurasia with the continent of Europe and the continental landmass of Afro-Eurasia with both Europe and Africa.
1. It is located primarily in the Eastern and Northern Hemispheres.
2. The Equator, Tropic of Cancer and Arctic Circle passes through it.
3. It is surrounded by the Indian Ocean in the south; Arctic Ocean in the north; the Pacific Ocean in the east; Ural Mountains, Caspian Sea, Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea in the west.
4. It is separated from Africa by the Red Sea and Suez Canal.
5. It is separated from North America by Berling Strait.
6. Important Peninsulas: Arabian Peninsula, Indo-Chinese Peninsula and Deccan Peninsula.
7. Arabian Peninsula is the largest Peninsula in the World.
8. Important Island groups: Andaman and Nicobar, Indonesia, Philippines and Japan.
9. The deepest trench of the world: Mariana Trench lies in the Pacific Ocean near Philippines.
10. Pamir Plateau is known as ‘Roof of the World’ situated in the Central Asia.
11. The highest point i.e. Mount Everest and lowest point i.e. Dead Sea of the World lies in this continent.
12. It is the birth place of the oldest civilizations of the World, i.e. Indus Valley Civilisation, Mesopotamia, and Chinese Civilization.
13. Major Mountain Ranges: Hindukush, Zagros, Himalaya, Karakoram, Kunlun and Tien Shan.
14. Major Plateaus: Bagua Plateau, Bashang Plateau, Bolaven Plateau, Central Siberian Plateau, Chota Nagpur Plateau, Dadu Plateau, Deccan Plateau, Eastern Plateau, Golan Heights, Hetao Plateau, Iranian Plateau, Karbi-Meghalaya Plateau, Khorat Plateau, Ladakh Plateau, Linkou Plateau, Loess Plateau, Malwa Plateau, Mongolian Plateau, Mysore Plateau, Nakai Plateau, Ngong Ping Plateau, Phouane Plateau, Shillong Plateau, Taoyuan Plateau, Tibetan Plateau, Ufa Plateau, Ukok Plateau, Ustyurt Plateau, Xiangkhoang Plateau and Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau.
15. The highest rainfall in the World is received at Mawsynram near Cherapunji (new name Sohra), situated in the Khasi Hills in Meghalya.
16: Asian rivers are called ‘Cradles of Civilization’ and Asian continent is called ‘The Birthplace of All the Religion’
17. Major Rivers: Ob River, Irtysh River, Yenisey River, the Angara River, Lena River, Yana River, Indigirka River, Kolyma Rivers, Anadyr River, Amur River, Huang He (Yellow River) River, Yangtze (Chang) River, Xi River, Red River, Mekong River, Chao Phraya River, Salween River, Irrawaddy River, Brahmaputra River, Ganges (Ganga) River, Godavari River, Krishna River, Indus River, Kura River, Aras River, Amu Darya (ancient Oxus River), Syr Darya (ancient Jaxartes River), Ili (Yili), Tarim River, Helmand River, and Harirud River.
18. Major Food Crops: Paddy, Wheat, Maize, Jowar-Bajra and Ragi.
19. Major Cash Crops: Tea, Sugarcane, Jute, Cotton, Rubber and Tobacco
20. The World’s highest railway line has been constructed in China. It starts from Qinghai provinces of China to Lhasa of Tibet. Its height is 4500m above sea-level.
21. Longest railway platforms in the World lies in Asia: Gorakhpur railway station, Uttar Pradesh, India (1,366.33 m) (4,483 ft.) (Longest in the world); Kollam Junction, Kerala, India (1,180.5 m) (3,873 ft.); Kharagpur, West Bengal, India: 1,072.5 m (3,519 ft.).
22. The longest (9439m) railway route in the world i.e. Trans-Siberian Railway are in Asia.
23. Number of Countries: According to the United Nations, there are 48 countries in Asia.
24. Major Strait: Malacca Strait, Palk Strait, Sunda Strait, Bering Strait, Bonne-Fasio Strait, Bosporous Strait, Hormuz Strait, Makkassar Strait, Tsungaru Strait and Formosa Strait.
25. Time Zone: There are eleven different time zones in Asia which is span from UTC (GMT) +4 to UTC (GMT) +10.
Asia has extremely diverse geographic features as well as climates. Climates range from arctic and subarctic in Siberia to tropical in southern India and Southeast Asia. It is moist across southeast sections and dry across much of the interior. Some of the largest daily temperature ranges on Earth occur in western sections of Asia.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.