National Development Council (NDC) is an executive body established by the Government of India in August 1952, which is neither a constitutional nor a statutory body. It is the apex body to take decisions on matters related to approval of five year plans of the country. Prime minister is the ex-officio chairman of the NDC.
National Development Council is composed of the members mentioned below:
(1) Prime Minister of India (Chairman of NDC)
(2) Chief Ministers of all states
(3) Administrators of all Union Territories
(4) All cabinet ministers
(5) Members of the Planning Commission
The secretary of the Planning Commission is also the secretary of the NDC. The administrative assistance is also provided by the Planning Commission.
NDC is an advisory body to the Planning Commission. The major objectives of NDC can be listed below:
(1) To strengthen and mobilize the effort and resources of the nation in support of the Plan.
(2) To promote common economic policies in all vital spheres.
(3) To ensure the balanced and rapid development of all parts of the country.
In addition to this, NDC provides a platform to all the states to discuss their problems and issues related to development. Thus, it secures the cooperation of the states in the execution of developmental plans.
To meet its objectives, the NDC has been assigned below functions:
(1) To prescribe guidelines for the formulation of the National Plan, including the assessment of resources for the Plan
(2) To consider the National Plan as formulated by the Planning Commission
(3) To make an assessment of the resources required to implement the plan and the way to augment the resources.
(4) To consider important questions of social and economic policy affecting national development
(5) To review the working of the Plan from time to time
(6) To recommend such measures that are necessary for achieving the aims and targets set out in the National Plan.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.