No Smoking Day 2022: Check Date, History, Significance, Quotes, Health Hazards, and ways to quit Smoking
No Smoking Day 2022: No Smoking day is observed on the second Wednesday every year to help smokers who want to quit smoking and also to raise awareness about the health effects of smoking in daily life. This year it falls on March 9.
Smoking causes various diseases and nearly harms every organ in the body. It also harms the health of smokers in general. According to the CDC, more than 16 million Americans are living with diseases caused by smoking. About 90% (or 9 out of 10) of the deaths are caused by lung cancer (smoking).
Each year, more women die from lung cancer than from breast cancer. Smoking also causes around 80% of deaths (or 8 out of 10) due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Therefore, cigarette smoking increases the risk of death from all causes in men and women. In fact in the U.S, over the last 50 years, the risk of smoking from cigarettes has increased.
Some ‘bud’dies try to bring you down in this rollercoaster we call life. However, this No Smoking Day, let us make safer choices for ourselves and for those around us.#RelianceFoundationHospital #RespectForLife #NoSmokingDay pic.twitter.com/btdoPKiYxE— Sir H. N. Reliance Foundation Hospital (@RFhospital) March 9, 2022
Smoking is neither an art nor a sport.— MAHA INFO CENTRE (@micnewdelhi) March 9, 2022
Habits can have a significant impact on one's life... So choose wisely !!
On #NoSmokingDay, promise yourself that you will never surrender to this bad habit that can harm your life.
Save Your Life…Quit Smoking…🚭 Save the Planet 🌍 pic.twitter.com/YK9JdicMsiHow to quit smoking?
To improve health, one of the most important steps for smokers is to quit smoking. Various people who smoke become addicted to nicotine, which is a drug that is found naturally in tobacco. Due to this, it becomes difficult to quit. But there are treatments and ways to quit smoking. They are provided below:
- Some studies claim that short periods of physical activity, mainly aerobic exercise, can reduce the urge to smoke.
- Talk to a quit smoking counselor individually or in a group.
- Medication can also help to manage withdrawal symptoms and cravings. This will help a person to stay confident and motivated to quit.
- Use Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT).
- Counseling also plays an important role in quitting for good.
Therefore, No Smoking Day spread awareness and educates people about the impact of tobacco through cigarettes and various other modes.
No Smoking Day 2022: History
No Smoking Day awareness movement was first started in 1984 in the United Kingdom on the day of Ash Wednesday and since then it has been an annual celebration event and tries to save people from the harmful effects of smoking as per awarenessdays.com. The motto behind this day celebration is to help people to quit smoking forever. According to the researchers, this effort has proven very effective and was observed that at least one among the ten people has been observed to give up smoking on this day.
No Smoking Day 2022: Celebrations
People are encouraged to quit smoking if they are smokers and no doubt it is an opportunity for them to choose to quit. It is not an easy task for the people who smoke but worthy is that it will improve health within hours and days of stopping. This day can also be celebrated by those who are concerned about someone they care or love by offering them access to resources that can help them. In fact, there are support groups, several sessions are provided and phone numbers of the people who can motivate and help them. Most insurance companies conduct various programs to help to quit smoking. Offer resources as much as you can and help people and loved ones to be ready to quit.
READ| World No Tobacco Day
What are the health hazards of tobacco smoking?
Do you know that Cigarette smoking harms nearly every organ of the body, causes many diseases, and reduces the health of smokers in general? Smokers are at great risk for diseases that affect the heart and blood vessels that is cardiovascular disease.
- Smoking causes stroke and coronary heart disease. It is said that people who smoke fewer than 5 cigarettes a day can have early signs of cardiovascular disease.
- Smoking damages blood vessels and can make them thicken and grow narrower. Because of this heartbeat become faster and blood pressure also increases.
- Blockages caused by smoking can also reduce blood flow to your legs and skin.
- Smoking also causes lung diseases like COPD which includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
- It can also cause lung cancer.
- Tobacco smoke increases the problem of asthma in patients and makes it even worse.
- Smoking can cause cancer almost anywhere in the body like bladder, blood, Cervix, Colon and Rectum, Esophagus, Kidney, Ureter, Larynx, Liver, Oropharynx, Pancreas, Stomach, lungs, etc.
- It can also affect the health of the bone.
- It also affects the health of teeth and hums and can cause tooth loss.
- Smoking also increases the risk for cataracts, age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
- It also causes type 2 diabetes mellitus and makes it harder to control.
- It also decreases immune function and also causes rheumatoid arthritis.
So, the utmost intention of this day is to help smokers get rid of the habit of smoking.
No Smoking Day 2022: Quotes
1. "Every time you try to quit smoking you are actually getting closer to staying smoke-free." - Henry Ford
2. "Cigarettes are a classy way to commit suicide." - Kurt Vonnegut
3. “Our strength grows out of our weakness.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
4. "Today just might be the best day to start seriously thinking about quitting smoking." - Alexander Woollcott
5. "You're always better off if you quit smoking; it's never too late." - Loni Anderson
|International Day against drug abuse and illicit trafficking||Important Days in March 2022: National and International Days|