The Constituent Assembly was set up under the cabinet Mission plan on 16th May 1946. The members were elected by the Provincial assemblies by the method of single transferable vote system of proportional representations. The Constituent Assembly met for the time on 9th December 1946, in the library of the Council Chamber Delhi, and 205 members attended the meet. The League representatives and nominees of the Princely States abstained. On 11th December, the Assembly elected Dr. Rajendra Prasad as its permanent President.
Committees of the Constituent Assembly
• Committee on the Rules of Procedure; Steering Committee; Steering Committee; Finance and Staff Committee; Ad hoc Committee on the National Flag; - Rajendra Prasad
• Credential Committee: Alladi Krishnaswami Ayyar
• House Committee: B. Pattabhi Sitaramayya
• Order of Business Committee: K.M. Munsi
• Committee on the Functions of the Constituent Assembly: G.V. Mavalankar
• States Committee; Union Powers Committee; Union Constitution Committee : Jawaharlal Nehru
• Advisory Committee on Fundamental Rights, Minorities and Tribal and Excluded Areas - Vallabhbhai Patel
• Minorities Sub-Committee - H.C. Mukherjee
• Fundamental Rights: Sub-Committee - J.B. Kripalani
• North-East Frontier Tribal Areas and Assam Excluded & Partially Excluded Areas Sub-Committee - Gopinath Bardoloi
• Excluded and Partially Excluded Areas (Other than those in Assam) Sub-Committee - A.V. Thakkar
• Drafting Committee - B.R. Ambedkar
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.