Many youngsters are willing to earn good money and fame at a very early age. I see nothing wrong in it. In modern times, becoming a fashion designer at a very young age is possible but is not a cake walk. If you have passion and zeal to work hard, you can be a successful and famous designer at 17 or 18! Read ahead to know how.
However, time is on your side and you have decades of creative evolution ahead of you, so hang in there and have faith that what you're learning now will set you in good stead for a great future. There are certain steps for young designers to reach the top!
- Get the gear you'll need for designing with. You'll need sketch books, colored pencils and art supplies. Use good quality paper and tools at all times, as you need to create good quality drawings.
- Read widely about fashion. Grab hold of all you can about fashion. This includes reading about the history of fashion and biographies of fashion designers. Also read about how to do fashion designing, to find out the sorts of challenges, pitfalls and tips you need to know.
- Improve your drawing and design skills. If you're not yet old enough to attend a design school, at least get drawing or art lessons. These will help you to discover good drawing techniques and will allow you to perfect styles that work best for you. Tell the art teacher what you're hoping to do and they might help you do more fashion-related projects. Eventually, it is a good idea to aim for getting a qualification in fashion design; it's a very competitive world now and education can set you ahead of others. It's not for everyone but it certainly can help.
- Learn to sew. If you don't already know how to do this, get some lessons. It will be invaluable to know how cloth works in relation to stitching, texture, cuts and flow, etc. and only someone able to sew will truly get a feel for this. Fashion design is both art and hard slog, so don't be afraid to get deeply involved with your sewing machine. It'll be quite some time before you can order someone else to do the sewing from your designs!
Knowing how to read & use design patterns are an essential part of being a good fashion designer. Start with reading and using, then move to making your own. The more comfortable you are with pattern-making, the less tempted you'll feel to reuse stale ideas.
Learn all that you can about fabrics. Fabrics are diverse and include both natural and manmade, and mixtures of the two. There are modern and vintage fabrics to learn about too, and young designer should make a decision as to which you prefer.
Knowing how fabric handles is essential for a good designer, and the earlier you learn this, the better. There are good reference books in libraries about fabrics you can borrow from the library; these will teach young designers about the weft and weave, about textures, strength, behavioral qualities of the fabrics, etc.
DESIGNING TALENT & SKILLS
Be Original: All artists are inspired by prior artists; it is how art grows and changes over time. However, it is also important to find your own expression and not fall slave to certain styles or fads that won't stand the test of time and won't let you stand apart.
- Allow yourself to develop over time. You can't expect to have your style emerge overnight; it will take time and it will also require constant noting of the things you like and how you'd use them within your own fashion designs.
- Keep secret Pinterest boards. Add the fashion inspirations to it as you come across them. Use this to keep a track of things that you think would be good to evolve or merge into your own fashion designs.
Improvise fast: Use the cloth, the colors and the patterns to inspire you and bring forth creative and unique fashion design ideas.
Ideas change, so have patience: You will find that your ideas change over time; that's good, it keeps your designing fresh. However, you might like to come up with a "signature" element to your fashion designs that can be carried through your works over the years. Think about what element that might be now––it might be a particular cut, a color or pattern, an addition to one part of the clothing, etc.
Internships or real Industry experience:
Fashion Design studios: Visit the famous fashion design studios in your city. Explain what you're hoping to do. Ask them if you can see what they do and maybe even ask for work experience. You may need to sign a confidentiality agreement saying that you won't share what you've seen or copy anything; that's standard, as it protects established fashion designers.
- If you offer to intern, you might end up with an employment offer if you're good at what you do. Fashion Designers are always in search of raw talent.
Before you start your journey, aspiring young fashion designers would need to know about the important facts of real industry life:
- What subjects do you need to study to become a great fashion designer?
Any kind of art and design classes are great, plus basic knowledge for doing measurements. Some business knowledge would be helpful as well. All the domain knowledge and the relevant skills are taught at some of the best Design Institutes in the country. You should appear for NIFT, NID and UID Entrance Examinations.
- What if there are no fashion classes where I live?
If there's something to inspire you, then you should not allow simple difficulties to stop you. NID, NIFT and UID provide hostel facilities to all of their young designers. You can leave your home and city, get admission in any of these top fashion institutes and avail hostel facilities.
- What could be the Salary after the Degree Course?
After the completion of the course, you can join any of the established fashion design studios, big fashion brands, famous designers or start your own fashion studio. Working for others will bring you a valuable experience before starting your own venture. You could get a salary in the range of 35,000 to 55,000 per month- at least in initial years. After a brief experience, your salary depends on your work and talent. You can earn loads of money if you are good at what you do.
- Good Books for Fashion Design students: You can visit Google and get access to the important books on Fashion Design and related concepts. When you get admission the college, faculty will guide you and all the good institutes have rich libraries.
- If you follow the steps mentioned above, you could be a very good designer while you are still in the fashion design institute. You can start making yourself a brand while studying design. By the time, you complete your studies; you will be a well known personality in fashion industry.
- Never give up based on one person's negative critique or opinion. If someone does not like your sense of fashion, keep trying and believe in yourself. But select the best Institute for fashion learning. Happy learning !
Prof. Rajesh Sisodia
Senior Journalist & Media Educator, Unitedworld Group of Institutions
Disclaimer: The information provided in this Notification is solely by Unitedworld Group of Institutions., Jagranjosh.com bears no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the information. Individuals are therefore suggested to check the authenticity of the information.