The UPSC will conduct the CDS (II) Exam 2017 on 19 November 2017. For the benefit of aspirants, Jagran Josh is providing the following questions on Current Affairs. The answers along with explanations as given below will help the candidates in understanding the nature of the questions in the exam.
1. NASA's Cassini spacecraft began its final five ultra-close orbits around which planet?
Answer. (a) Saturn
NASA's Cassini spacecraft began its final mission phase-five ultra-close orbits around Saturn on 13 August 2017-before it plunges into the atmosphere of the ringed planet and ends its epic 20-year-long journey.
2. Who was appointed as the WHO Goodwill Ambassador for physical activity in South-East Asia Region?
a) Milkha Singh
b) Sachin Tendulkar
c) Mary Kom
d) P V Sindhu
Answer. (a) Milkha Singh
As a WHO Goodwill Ambassador, Milkha Singh will promote Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) Prevention and Control Action Plan in South-East Asia Region which seeks to reduce the level of insufficient physical activity by 10 per cent and NCDs by 25 per cent by 2025.
3. Name the first-ever Indian circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women crew.
a) Navika Sagar Parikrama
b) Mahila Sagar Parikrama
c) Tarini Sagar Parikrama
d) Shakti Sagar Parikrama
Answer. (a) Navika Sagar Parikrama
Navika Sagar Parikrama, the first ever Indian circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women crew, is scheduled to commence in early September 2017. They will begin their voyage from Goa on an Indian-built sail boat INSV Tarini and expect to return to Goa in March 2018.
4. Who was sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India recently?
a) Justice Dipak Misra
b) Justice JS Khehar
c) Justice H. J. Kania
d) Justice H. L. Dattu
Answer. (a) Justice Dipak Misra
Justice Misra succeeds Chief Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar who demitted office on 27 August 2017. With this, Misra became the third from Odisha to assume charge as the Chief Justice of India (CJI). The other two were Justices Ranganath Misra and G B Pattanaik.
5. Who was awarded with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award 2017?
a) GSSV Prasad
b) Brij Bhushan Mohanty
c) PA Raphel
d) Sardar Singh
Answer. (d) Sardar Singh
President Ram Nath Kovind on 29 August 2017 presented the National Sports and Adventure Awards 2017 at Rashtrapati Bhavan on the occasion of National Sports Day. Para athlete Devendra and hockey player Sardar Singh were honoured with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
6. Israel recently launched its first environmental research satellite. What is the name of the satellite?
Answer. (b) Venus
Venus, the first Israeli satellite for environmental research was launched on 2 August 2017 from the European spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana. The satellite is a joint effort by the Israel Space Agency and the French Space Agency (CNES). The satellite was built in Israel by the Israel Aerospace Industries. Venus is considered the smallest satellite of its kind in the world. It is crafted to survey and monitor large areas to study soil, vegetation, forests, agriculture, water and air quality and other aspects of the environment.
7. Name the mobile application that was developed by the Indian Army to enable serving soldiers to track details like postings, promotions, and monthly payslips as well as form 16.
d) On Duty
Answer. (b) Humraaz
The Indian Army has developed a mobile application named Humraaz. The app will allow serving soldiers to track details like postings and promotions. Reports suggest that an army official has said that trough the app 'Humraaz', soldiers can also view their monthly salary slips and the Form 16 and also download them.
8. Cabinet of this state has approved Religious Freedom bill 2017 in which forceful or allurement induced religious conversion will be a non-bailable criminal offence.
b) Madhya Pradesh
Answer. (c) Jharkhand
Jharkhand Cabinet on 1 August 2017 approved Religious Freedom Bill 2017. The bill named as Jharkhand Freedom of Religion Bill, 2017 seeks to bring stringent anti-conversion law in place under which forceful or allurement induced religious conversion will be a non-bailable criminal offence. Section three of the Bill prohibits forceful conversion.
9. The Supreme Court has imposed a ban on the use of 5 harmful metals in firecrackers. Which among the following metals does not fall in the banned list?
Answer. (d) Zinc
A Supreme Court bench headed by Justice Madan B Lokur on 1 August 2017 imposed a ban on the use of five harmful metals including lead, mercury, lithium, arsenic and antimony in firecrackers citing air pollution as the main reason.
10. The Union Ministry of Rural Development will soon launch a new sub-scheme Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana under which of the following missions?
a) Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission
b) Mission Rural India
d) Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan
Answer. (a) Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission
The Union Ministry of Rural Development on 20 July 2017 announced that it will launch a new sub-scheme Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY) under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM). The Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana aims to provide an alternative source of livelihoods to members of Self Help Groups (SHGs).