Current Affairs for IAS Prelims Exam 2017: January 2017 Questions IV
Current Affairs objective quiz is a must for cracking IAS Prelims as it is the most demanding section of IAS Exam. Hence, we provide latest Current Affair quiz of January 2017 for IAS Prelims 2017.
Current affair is the most dynamic and challenging portion of the IAS Prelims preparation which should be studied in depth. For anyone who is starting his/her preparation, current affairs should be given priority.
Current affairs should be organised keeping in mind the syllabus of UPSC IAS prelims and mains. UPSC IAS prelims preparation requires a deep consolidation and fundamental knowledge of the current happenings.
We will continue to provide the current affairs questions for IAS Prelims 2017 to help you gain a better perception of how questions can be asked in the examination.
1. A new organ has been discovered inside the human body known as the mesentery. Consider the following statement regarding Mesentery:
1) Mesentery resides in our digestive tract.
2) Mesentery was previously believed to be made of fragmented, separate structures.
Choose the correct statement(s):
a. Only 1
b. Only 2
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
Researchers recently discovered a completely new body organ called the mesentery; it resides in our digestive tract and may hold the key to better understanding digestive disorders.
The mesentery didn't just appear from thin air, it was previously believed to be made of fragmented, separate structures. However, new research has shown that it's actually one continuous organ. Grey’s Anatomy, the world’s most famous medical textbooks, have even been edited to include the update.
Still, it’s unclear exactly what the mesentery does. The body part has been long ignored and believed to be otherwise useless, but scientists are beginning to change their ideas on its function.
In 2015, scientists discovered a “missing link” between the immune system and the brain, which they dubbed the "central nervous system lymphatic system vessels.”
2. Recently, Model Code of Conduct had come into force in Uttar Pradesh. Which of the following statements regarding the Model Code of Conduct is true?
1) No party or candidate shall include in any activity which may create mutual hatred between different castes and communities, religious or linguistic.
2) There can be an appeal to caste or communal feelings for securing votes.
3) Mosques, Churches, Temples or other places of worship shall not be used as a forum for election propaganda.
Choose the correct code:
a. 1 and 3
b. 2 and 3
c. 1 and 2
d. 1, 2 and 3
The Election Commission of India has specified general conduct guidelines under the model code of conduct for the political parties and candidates to follow.
Some of the guidelines are as follows:
• No party or candidate shall include in any activity which may aggravate existing differences or create mutual hatred or cause tension between different castes and communities, religious or linguistic.
• Criticism of other political parties, when made, shall be confined to their policies and programme, past record and work. Parties and Candidates shall refrain from criticism of all aspects of private life, not connected with the public activities of the leaders or workers of other parties.
• There shall be no appeal to caste or communal feelings for securing votes. Mosques, Churches, Temples or other places of worship shall not be used as a forum for election propaganda.
• All parties and candidates shall avoid scrupulously all activities which are “corrupt practices” and offences under the election law, such as the bribing of voters, intimidation of voters, impersonation of voters, canvassing within 100 meters of polling stations, holding public meetings during the period of 48 hours ending with the hour fixed for the close of the poll, and the transport and conveyance of voters to and from polling station.
• The right of every individual for peaceful and undisturbed home-life shall be respected, however much the political parties or candidates may resent his political opinions or activities.
• Organising demonstrations or picketing before the houses of individuals by way of protesting against their opinions or activities shall not be resorted to under any circumstances.
3. Which statement best describes the word, “Bunkar Mitra”?
a. It is the Government’s scheme for Rural Banking.
b. It is an initiative towards opening more Bank accounts under Jan Dhan Yojana.
c. It is the Government of India’s Helpline for Handloom Weavers.
d. It is the Government of India’s Helpline for Farmers.
The Ministry of Textiles has decided to establish a “Bunkar Mitra-Handloom Helpline Centre” where professional queries of weavers will be answered by the experts in the field. This helpline will initially be provided in 7 languages viz., Hindi, English, and 5 other regional languages (Telugu, Tamil, Kannada Bengali & Assamese).
Currently, 28 Weavers’ Service Centres (WSCs) are functioning across the country to provide technical assistance to handloom weavers in improving their skills. For seeking assistance, weavers have to personally visit the WSCs.
As on date, there is no single point of contact where weavers can seek solutions to their technical issues/problems. The helpline aims to overcome these problems.
4. Which State Government has announced to give scientists of the state Rs 100 crore for a Nobel Prize:
a. Tamil Naidu
b. Andhra Pradesh
Andhra Pradesh made scientists from the state an offer few would refuse. The State Government has announced a reward of Rs 100 crore from the state government to anyone who brings home a Nobel Prize.
The State’s reward is about 17 times more than the prize money given out with the Nobel award, which is about Rs 5.96 crore (Swedish kronor 8 million). No other state government in India has perhaps made such a grand offer to its scientists.
5. Consider the following statements regarding the Hyperloop Transport system often seen in the news:
1) The Hyperloop system propels a pod-like vehicle through a near-vacuum tube.
2) It uses passive magnetic levitation or air bearings.
3) The tubes can go above ground on columns or underground and eliminate the dangers of grade crossings.
Choose the correct statement(s):
a. 1 and 2
b. 2 and 3
c. 1 and 3
d. 1,2 and 3
Developments in high-speed rail have historically been impeded by the difficulties in managing friction and air resistance, but the vactrain concept theoretically eliminates these obstacles by employing magnetically levitating trains in evacuated (airless) or partly evacuated tubes, allowing for speeds of thousands of miles per hour.
The Hyperloop resembles a vactrain system but operates at approximately one millibar of pressure. Hyperloop is a proposed mode of passenger and freight transportation that propels a pod-like vehicle through a near-vacuum tube at more than airline speed.
The pods would accelerate to cruising speed gradually using a linear electric motor and glide above their track using passive magnetic levitation or air bearings. The tubes could also go above ground on columns or underground and eliminate the dangers of grade crossings. It is hoped that the system will be highly energy-efficient, quiet and autonomous.
6. Bitcoin has tipped to become a new safe haven asset. Which of the following statements are the criteria for inclusion in the Bitcoin Price Index (XBP)?
1) US Dollar exchanges must serve an international customer base.
2) The Minimum trade size must be less than 1,500 USD or equivalent.
3) The Daily trading volume must meet minimum acceptable levels as determined by CoinDesk.
Choose the correct statement(s):
a. Only 1
b. 1,2 and 3
c. 2 and 3
d. 1 and 3
The criteria for inclusion in the XBP are:
• USD exchanges must serve an international customer base.
• The Exchange must provide a bid-offer spread for an immediate sale (offer) and an immediate purchase (bid).
• The Minimum trade size must be less than 1,500 USD (9,000 CNY) or equivalent.
• The Daily trading volume must meet minimum acceptable levels as determined by CoinDesk.
• The Exchange must represent at least 5% of the total 30-day cumulative volume for all of the exchanges included in the XBP.
• The stated and/or actual time for a majority of fiat currency and bitcoin transfers (whether deposits or withdrawals) must not exceed two business days.
Currently, the Bitcoin exchanges which meet the criteria and are therefore included in the US dollar XBP calculation are Bitstamp, Coinbase, itBit and OKCoin. The exchanges that are included in the Chinese yuan XBP calculation are BTC China, Huobi and OKCoin.