- Wholesale Price Index (WPI) based inflation declined to 5-year low of 3.74 percent in August 2014. This was revealed by the WPI data released on 15 September 2014 by the Office of the Economic Adviser under the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 14 September 2014 closed down six Urban Cooperative Banks (UCBs). These UCBs were suspected of being used to route illegal money, but RBI did not disclose the names of these six UCBs.
- Modi government in July decided to permit 100% FDI through direct route in railways infrastructure. Indian Railways has set up a departmental panel tasked to facilitate Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflows in the rail sector for augmenting resources.
- The second Board of Inquiry (BOI) in September 2014 recommended decommissioning of INS Sindhurakshak, in its report. The second BOI was constituted by the Union Defence Ministry to probe the feasibility of reusing INS Sindhurakshak.
- Music Maestro Mandolin player Uppalapu Srinivas died on 19 September 2014 in Chennai. He died following a failed liver transplant at the age of 45. He is now survived by his father, mother, a sister and brother Rajesh, who is also a mandolin player.
- Ma Ying-jeou, The President of Taiwan presented the Tang Prizes in Taiwan’s capital Taipei on 18 September 2014. This award honours the outstanding contributions to the environment, human rights, medicine and Sinology. The Tang Prize is treated as Asia's version of the Nobels.
- Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways on 16 September 2014 decided to roll out Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) programme in the country under the brand name FASTag.
- Lalitha Kumaramangalam was appointed as chairperson of National Commission for Women (NCW). She was appointed by the Union Minister of Women and Child Development, Menaka Gandhi on 17 September 2014. She is the eighth chairperson of NCW.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping on 16 September 2014 appointed Le Yucheng as China's new Ambassador to India. Le Yucheng replaced Wei Wei who previously served as China's envoy to India.
- Bollywood actor Naseeruddin Shah on 12 September 2014 released his autobiography And then One Day: A Memoir.
- Actor Leonardo DiCaprio was appointed as United Nations Messenger of Peace with a special focus on climate change. He was appointed by the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on 16 September 2014.
- The World Bank Group (WBG) on 16 September 2014 approved 105 million US dollars grant for Ebola Emergency Response project to fight Ebola in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
- First mobile phone sidewalks lane was created in Chinese city Chongqing on 15 September 2014. The city authorities designated a 100ft cellphone lane for men and women who use their phones while walking.
- China on 19 September 2014 fined GlaxoSmithKline Placement (GSK Plc) a record 489 million US dollars (3 billion Yuan) for paying bribes to doctors to use its drugs. The fine was imposed by Changsha Intermediate People's Court of China.
- Infosys BPO Poland on 19 September 2014 signed a contract with commercial real estate developer Skanska Property in Poland for leasing its office space for 10 years.
- Sportswear retailer Puma India Pvt. Ltd on 19 September 2014 appointed sales and retail head Abhishek Ganguly as the new Managing Director (MD).
- Gilead on 16 September 2014 gave voluntary licenses to Indian pharma companies to make generic version of hepatitis C drug Sofosbuvir. US based pharma major Gilead is the patent holder of Sofosbuvir drug.
- Nasdaq-listed Cognizant Technology Solutions Corp on 15 September 2014 acquired healthcare IT services provider TriZetto Corp for 2.7 billion US dollars. The acquisition is aimed at boosting the healthcare business of Cognizant.
- Microsoft Corp on 15 September 2014 acquired the Swedish video game company Mojang for 2.5 billion US dollars. With this acquisition, Microsoft aims to lure young audience into its mobile world.
- Tata Group company Croma and Snapdeal.com on 16 September 2014 tied up to sell electronic goods online. This omni-channel retail association will enable Croma and Snapdeal to leverage from each other's strengths.
- Pharma major Lupin on 16 September 2014 tied up with Germany-based biopharmaceutical firm Merck Serono. With this tie-up, Lupin aims to expand its portfolio initiative in emerging markets.
- Miss Kira Kazantsev on 14 September 2014 won the Miss America pageant. She belongs to New York.
Kazantsev received the crown at Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall from outgoing Miss America and Miss New York Nina Davuluri.
- Yemen President Abdrabuh Mansour Hadi on 21 September 2014 signed a peace deal in Sanaa, the capital of Yemen, with Shiite Houthi rebels. The peace deal aims to put an end to the violence in the country.
- People of Scotland on 19 September 2014 rejected the historic referendum for independence from United Kingdom. In the referendum asking simple question, Should Scotland be an independent country?; 55.3 percent of the Scots voted “No”.
- US Senate on 19 September 2014 passed a bipartisan resolution declaring 30 September 2014 as US-India Partnership Day. The resolution recognizes the importance of India and the US to one another and their relationship in defining the 21st century.
- India and Vietnam on 15 September 2014 signed seven pacts to further strengthen their strategic partnership in key sectors. These pacts included two agreements, a letter of intent and four memorandum of understanding.
- Union Human Resource Development Ministry on 11 September 2014 announced to fund Swachh Vidyalaya campaign. Funding of the campaign will be through Swachh Bharat Kosh that the Union Government has announced to set up to fund the Swachh Bharat Campaign.
- Union Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry on 19 September 2014 launched free news SMS service of All India Radio (AIR) in five Indian languages. These five languages are Hindi, Marathi, Sanskrit, Dogri and Nepali.
- The Union Cabinet on 15 September 2014 approved the launching of National AYUSH Mission (NAM). The word AYUSH stands for Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy.
- Sardar Singh on 19 September 2014 became India's flag bearer at 17th Asian Games opening. Sardar Singh is the captain of Indian Hockey team.
- Hockey India (HI) on 19 September 2014 inducted Hockey Village India (HVI) as an Academy Member to reach out to underprivileged children who are keen to make a career in the sport.
- International Boxing Association (AIBA) on 16 September 2014 permitted Indian boxers (pugilists) to take part in the 17th Asian Games 2014 under the national tricolor.
- The 17th Asian Games also known as XVII Asiad commenced at Asiad Main Stadium in Incheon, South Korea on 19 September 2104. The theme of the 2014 Asian Games is Meet Asia’s Future.
- USA on 14 September 2014 won FIBA Basketball World Cup 2014 by defeating Serbia. The World Cup was held at Madrid, Spain.
- HS Prannoy, the young Indian shuttler won Indonesian Badminton Masters Grand Prix Gold on 14 September 2014. He defeated Indonesian Firman Abdul Kholik 21-11, 22-20 to grab his maiden Grand Prix (GP) title in the finals played at GOR Jakabaring stadium, Indonesia.