General Awareness for MBA : 3 June – 9 June
Get to know the most important news and happenings of the week (3 June - 9 June). It will help you in your preparation for General Awareness.
- The Services sector in India expanded for the first time in 11 months. This was revealed by the HSBC Services Purchasing Managers' Index released on 4 June 2014.
- The Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA) and Grant Thornton India LLP on 3 June 2014 signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) in Delhi. The MoU was signed to develop capacity of the Indian companies for effective implementation of the CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) Rules laid in Section 135 of the Companies Act 2013.
- Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare in first week of June 2014 launched a new four-minute video titled, The Price We Pay. The video was launched to highlight the health and economic impacts of tobacco consumption.
- State government of Madhya Pradesh appointed Madhuri Dixit as the brand ambassador of maternal and child health campaign, Mamta Abhiyan. The campaign will kick off from 26 June 2014 with an event organised in collaboration of Bhopal unit of UNICEF.
- Vice Admiral Anil Chopra took over the charge of Western Naval Command (WNC) as Commander-in-Chief on 6 June 2014. He was appointed two months after Vice Admiral Shekar Sinha took voluntary retirement.
- Irish author Eimear McBride won the 2014 Bailey's Women's Prize for Fiction on 4 June 2014 for her first novel A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing.
- Central Information Commission on 4 June 2014 ruled that the private schools which were governed by a law such as the Delhi Education Act come under the provisions of Right to Information (RTI) Act.
- German Chancellor, Angela Merkel topped the Forbes annual list of Most Powerful Women 2014 in the world. The annual list of Forbes was released on 28 May 2014. Angela Merkel topped the list for fourth year in a row and nine times overall.
- Sanjay Kapoor was on 5 June 2014 appointed as Micromax Chairman. Sanjay Kapoor was a former CEO of Bharti Airtel company. Sanjay was the chief executive officer for India and South Asia of Airtel from March 2010 till May 2013.
- The European health regulator on 5 June 2014 lifted suspension imposed on export of drugs produced at the Ranbaxy’s Toansa plant in Punjab in India. The imposed ban was lifted by terming that the medicines produced at the site don’t pose any threat to public health despite having number of manufacturing deficiencies.
- Lithuania will become the 19th country to adopt Euro as a Single currency from 1 January 2015. This was revealed by the European Union Commission's Convergence Report released on 4 June 2014. Convergence Report examined whether Member States satisfy the conditions for adopting the single currency Euro.
- Quebec province of Canada on 5 June 2014 adopted legislation Right-to-Die that allows terminally ill patients to kill themselves with a doctor’s help. The legislation was adopted in a historic vote in the National Assembly with 94-22 majority.
- Russia on 4 June 2014 lifted arm embargo on Pakistan. Sergey Chemezov, head of Russian state-run technologies corporation Rostec announced that Russia has lifted an embargo on supplying weapons and military hardware to Pakistan.
- Wrestlers Yogeshwar Dutt and Sushil Kumar on 1 June 2014 won Gold and Silver respectively at the International wrestling tournament held in Sassari city of Italy.
- Sachin Tendulkar on 27 May 2014 was selected as the goodwill ambassador of 35th National Games that is scheduled to be held in Kerala from January-February 2015. The games will be held in seven cities of the state.