General awareness is a very important aspect for MBA aspirants. Thus, it is crucial that your GA quotient must be high before you appear in any MBA entrance exam. This article is aimed at enhancing your awareness about the current news and happenings that occurred globally in this week (9th to 14th April). It will help you in your preparation for the competitive exams.
1. From 14th April 2016 national e-agriculture market (NAM) would enable 8 states to sell online 25 commodities in 21 wholesale mandis and get better prices. Indian PM, Narendra Modi will inaugurate this initiative on the 125th birth anniversary of Bhim Rao Ambedkar.
Eight states under NAM are:
- Uttar Pradesh,
- Madhya Pradesh,
- Jharkhand and
- Himachal Pradesh.
2. On 11 April 2016, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) granted the first payments bank license to Airtel M Commerce Services (AMSL). After this move AMSL proposes to convert the existing pre-paid payment instrument license into a Payments Bank license as per the guidelines prescribed by the Reserve Bank of India.
1. The Union Government has approved India’s first Metrino Pod project for Gurgaon. The project would be initiated from 1st June 2016.
Highlights of the Pod System
2. On 12th April 2016, Haryana Government decided to rename Gurgaon as Gurugram. They also renamed one of neighbouing district Mewat as Nuh. The name has been changed as a move to respect Guru Dronacharya who used to provide education to the Pandavas and Kauras. The village was given as “gurudakshina” to him by his students, the Pandavas, and hence it came to be known as Gurugram.
1. On 8 April 2016, President of Saudi Arabia (King Salman bin Abdulaziz) and President of Egypt (Abdul-Fattah al-Sisi) have agreed to construct a bridge over Red Sea to connect the two nations. This initiative would strengthen the trade and commerce between the two continents.
2. On 12 April 2016, India and the US agreed to conclude a logistics exchange agreement i.e. Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA). This agreement will enable militaries of both the nations to use each other's assets and bases for the purpose of repair and replenishment of supplies. The key people involved in this agreement were US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter and Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
Ashton Carter Manohar Parrikar
3. On 13 April 2016, Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation and German International Cooperation (GIZ) signed an Implementation agreement. The agreement focuses on the Ganga Rejuvenation under the Namami Gange Programme in New Delhi.
The key people involved in this agreement were Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Shashi Shekhar and German Ambassador Dr. Martin Ney. The duration of the project is 3 years (i.e. 2016-2018) and the estimated cost of the project is Rs. 22.5 crore.
Image Source: sarkaritel.com
Agreement signed between Dr. Martin Ney and Shashi Shekhar
1. Angelique Kerber has won final match against Serena Williams at the Australian Open. Angelique Kerber astonished Serena Williams in a 6-4 3-6 6-4 thriller to open her grand slam account and thereafter she deprived the American of a 22nd title.
Angelique Kerber Serena Williams
2. On 12 April 2016, James Taylor (England and Nottinghamshire batsman) took retirement at the age of 26 years due to his ailing health conditions. The player was diagnosed with Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy (ARVC) which further requires a heart surgery.
Image Source: www.ibtimes.co.uk
3. On 9 April 2016, Anthony Joshua won the International Boxing Federation heavyweight title. Charles Martin was the runner up in the match. As opposing, Martin has suffered his first defeat after winning 25 matches. Jean Pierre Van Imschoot, of Belgium was the referee of the match.
Image Source: telegraph.co.uk