About the course:
It is a five year dual degree program for bright and motivated science students who have passed class XII. The program integrates classroom learning with research and provides ample scope for multidisciplinary interactions. The first two years of the program consist of core courses in basic sciences, the third and fourth years are dedicated to specialization in chosen science subjects and the fifth year includes a research project. The training during the program enables students to pursue a career in academia, R&D institutes and science based industries.
Admission to BS-MS Dual Degree Program 2015:
Students will be admitted to the Five Year BS-MS Dual Degree program beginning August 2015 through the following channels.
Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) Basic Science Stream: Students qualifying in SA (2013-14)/SX (2014-15)/SB (2014-15).
Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced)-2015: Students securing a place in the rank list of Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) for admission to Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
State and Central Boards: Those, who are eligible for INSPIRE scholarship by Department of Science and Technology (DST) on the basis of their aggregate scores in class XII(2014 & 2015) may be considered for admission after clearing an aptitude test by Joint Admission Committee of the IISERs
Scholarship: BS-MS students are eligible for either KVPY or INSPIRE scholarship based on continued academic performance.
Application Fee: There is a non-refundable application fee of Rs. 1500/- (Rs. 750/- for candidates applying under SC/ST category)
Seats: Total of 950 students in all IISERs put together.
About the course:
To seek an admission, a candidate should apply through at least one of the three channels.
(a) Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY): SA (2013)/SX (2014)/SB (2014)/SP (Passed class XII in 2014).
(b) Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced)-2015: Students obtaining a minimum aggregate of 60% marks in class XII and securing a place in the rank list of Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) for the admission to Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs). For SC/ST/PD candidates the required percentage of aggregate marks in class XII is 55%.
(c) State and Central Boards: Students who have passed class XII in 2012 or are appearing for class XII exam in 2013 in science stream with either
1. Aggregate marks above or equal to the cut-off percentage declared by DST as eligibility for INSPIRE fellowship (http://www.inspire-dst.gov.in/). For OBC (Non-Creamy layer)/PD category candidates, there is 5% relaxation in the DST cut-off. The cut-off for SC/ST candidates is 55% in class XII for all boards [Aggregate marks = (Total marks obtained in all subjects x 100) / Maximum marks.].
2. Advisory note for the eligibility for Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) under INSPIRE scheme.
- The Integrated MS programme is of 10 semester duration.
- Each academic year has 2 semesters of roughly 16 weeks each
- Varsha Semester: August-December
- Vasanth Semester: January-May
- The first 2 years (i.e. the first 4 semesters) will consist of core courses common to all students.
- 3rd and 4th year courses will be specialized in one Major (Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics) and one or more Minors.
- The fifth year will be devoted to a thesis by research.