For the recruitment of Probationary officers in various public sector banks across the nation, Indian Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) conducts an online examination every year. Lakhs of aspiring candidates go through the written examinations to enter the next rounds which consist of personal interviews and group discussions. Upon the completion of all the rounds which includes a general medical test as well, the candidate gets recruited for his/her service in a nationalized bank as a probationary officer.
The written examination includes five different papers which include General Awareness, Reasoning, English Language, Quantitative Aptitude and Computer Knowledge. The paper of General Awareness mostly deals with the knowledge of the banking industry as most of the questions are related to banking terms and events that takes place in any particular time span. Banking related issues are given prominence and there are questions which deal with overall general awareness of the candidates about their surroundings as well.
The examination consists of 200 questions that carry equal number of marks. For solving these 200 questions the candidates get a total time of 2 hours which makes it a rather tricky one to solve. The General Awareness section (with special reference to banking industry) contains 40 marks in total and the number of question varies accordingly. The questions asked in the section are more associated with banking events and significant changes that are taking place in the field of banking worldwide. While most of the competitive exams focus more on the overall general knowledge and awareness of the surroundings of the candidates, this exam is directed more to evaluate the banking sector knowledge of the candidates. Some of the questions turn out to be really difficult for the candidates as they remain unaware of many a terms and economic definitions that the banks deal with, in the phase of their preparation. It is one area where the candidates must give their time, so that they can get their basics right and perform well in the examination.
Description of the Questions asked in the Paper
- Though the question paper focuses majorly on the banking sector, it also carries questions related to books and their authors, awards and honors, sports news, budget information, social and agricultural growth of the nation and current national and international affairs for the last 6 months.
- You need to get acquainted with the various economic and social schemes the government is launching which are directly or indirectly linked with the financial or banking sector.
- A sound knowledge of the Finance, shares, abbreviations, national and international economy becomes necessary to solve the questions asked in the paper.
- You should have the banking terms in your finger tips and should go through all the present rates (bank rate, repo rate, reverse repo rate etc.), that the banking sector is dealing with.
- Information of various international and national financial bodies such as World bank, IMF and RBI should be readily accessible from your memory which might help you dearly while you would go through this section of the paper.