UPSC changed the exam pattern of Indian Forest Service Examination from 2013 by introducing a component of screening mechanism through civil services preliminary examination. All the candidates are required to appear in the prelims exam and qualify the same for going to the second stage of Indian forest services main examination (Written and Interview).
UPSC will conduct the IAS prelim exam 2013 on 26 May. The exam will consist of 2 papers; paper 1 and paper 2(CSAT). There will be 100 questions in paper 1 while 80 questions in CSAT paper.
The time duration of each paper will be of 2 hours. Each question paper will carry 200 marks. There will be penalty for wrong answer (0.33). The questions will be asked from several areas like
For paper 1
• Current events of national and international importance.
• History of India and Indian National Movement.
• Indian and World Geography - Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
• Indian Polity and Governance - Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights issues, etc.
• Economic and Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics,
Social Sector initiatives, etc.
• General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change - that do not require
• General Science.
For paper 2
• Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
• Logical reasoning and analytical ability
• Decision-making and problem-solving
• General mental ability
• Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. - Class X level)
• English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level).
Note 1: Questions relating to English Language Comprehension skills of Class X level (last item in the Syllabus of PaperII) will be tested through passages from English language only without providing Hindi translation thereof in the question paper.
Note 2: The questions will be of multiple choice, objective type.