Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore has invited admission applications for its various programmes - Research Programmes [Ph D / M Sc (Engg)], Course Programmes [ME/ M Tech/ M Des/M.Mgt], Ph D (Integrated) Programmes and External Registration Programme.
- Last Date to fill and submit online Application Form: 7 March 2014 (only for Sponsored candidates)
- Regular Candidates can apply till: 5 April 2014
- Ph D (Integrated) programme - Website opening and online submission of Applications on IIT, Kanpur website: shortly after JAM results
1. Research Programmes [Ph D/M Sc(Engg)]
- Ph D in Science Faculty: Astronomy & Astrophysics, Biochemistry, Ecological Sciences, High Energy Physics, Inorganic & Physical Chemistry, Materials Research, Mathematics, Microbiology & Cell Biology, Molecular Biophysics, Molecular Reproduction, Development & Genetics, Neuroscience, Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Solid State & Structural Chemistry.
- M Sc(Engg) and Ph D in Engineering Faculty: Aerospace Engineering, Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Automation, Earth Sciences, Electrical Communication Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronic Systems Engineering, Instrumentation, Management Studies, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Nano Science and Engineering, Product Design & Manufacturing, Sustainable Technologies, and Supercomputer Education & Research.
- Ph D in Interdisciplinary areas: Bioengineering, Energy, Mathematical Sciences, Nano Science and Engineering.
Candidates must possess minimum second division in the following degrees in order to apply :
Bachelor’s or Master's degree in an appropriate field of Engineering/Technology/Architecture/ Medicine/ Agriculture/ Pharmacy/ Veterinary Sciences; or Master’s degree in Science in an appropriate field, or Master’s in Economics, Geography, Social Work, Psychology, Management, Commerce, Operations Research, Computer Science/ Application as applicable to the respective departments.
Mandatory: Qualifying in one of the following appropriate National Entrance Test (NET) with validity as on 1st August 2014: CSIR-UGC NET for JRF; or UGC-NET for JRF; or DBT JRF; or ICMR JRF; or JEST 2014; or NBHM Screening Test 2014; or GATE 2013/2014 or INSPIRE Fellows (for Ph D).
ME/ M Tech/ M Sc(Engg)/ M Des or MS or MBA (post BE/B Tech) qualified candidates who wish to apply for Ph D of the departments in Engineering Faculty - valid NET qualification is not mandatory but desirable.
2. Course Programmes [ME/ M Tech/M Des/M.Mgt]
Master of Engineering (ME) in Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Microelectronic Systems, Signal Processing, Systems Science & Automation, and Telecommunication Engineering.
Candidates possessing a minimum of second class in Bachelor's degree in appropriate field of Engineering/ Technology or equivalent degree with valid GATE score are eligible to apply.
Selection is based on valid GATE 2013/2014 score only.
Master of Technology (M Tech) in Climate Science, (ii) Computational Science, (iii) Earth Science, (iv) Electronic Systems Engineering, (v) Instrumentation, (vi) Nano Science & Engineering (vii) Transportation & Infrastructure Engineering.
- Candidates possessing a minimum of second class in the following qualifying degree with valid GATE score are eligible to apply:
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field of Engineering/Technology; or Master’s degree in Science, Physical Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics, Geology, Instrumentation, Electronics or Master’s in Computer Application as applicable to the respective departments.
Selection for (i), (ii) , (iii) and (iv) is based on an aptitude test and interview, and for (vi) is based on interview subsequent to short-listing based on valid GATE score and for (v) and (vii) based on valid GATE score only.
Master of Design (M Des) in Product Design & Engineering
- Candidates possessing a minimum of second class in Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology / Design / Architecture with valid GATE/CEED scores are eligible to apply.
Selection is based on a Design Aptitude Test and interview subsequent to short-listing based on valid GATE / CEED scores.
Master of Management (M.Mgt)
“IISc uses CAT scores for short-listing the candidates for M.Mgt programme. IIMs have no role either in the selection process or in the conduct of the programme.”
- Candidates possessing a minimum of first class in Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology or equivalent degree with a valid GATE/CAT/GMAT scores are eligible to apply.
Selection is based on a group discussion and interview subsequent to short-listing based on valid GATE / CAT / GMAT scores.
3. Ph D (Integrated) PROGRAMMES in
1. Biological Sciences
2. Chemical Sciences
3. Physical Sciences
4. Mathematical Sciences
- Candidates possessing a minimum of first class in B Sc or equivalent degree in Physical, Mathematical, Chemical, Biological Sciences (including Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy, Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences) are eligible to apply to an appropriate disciplines.
- BE / B Tech degree holders who qualify in Mathematics/Mathematical Statistics paper in JAM are eligible to apply only to Mathematical Sciences discipline.
The short-listing of candidates for interview is based on the performance in JAM 2014.
Those candidates who qualify in JAM and interested to apply for the Ph D (Integrated) programme at the Institute must give IISc as one of the preference while applying online through JAM portal after the JAM results.
4. External Registration Programmes (ERP)
ERP is offered for working professionals from (1) R&D Organizations / Industries and (2) Faculty members from Engineering, Agricultural, Pharmaceutical, Veterinary, Medical Colleges/ Universities, recognized by the appropriate government agencies. The candidates must be officially sponsored by their employing organization.
Ph D in Science: All the Science departments as indicated in (i) except Neuroscience, Ecological Sciences, High Energy Physics Organic Chemistry and Solid State & Structural Chemistry.
Ph D in Engineering: All the Engineering departments as indicated in (i).
- Qualifications remain the same as for the regular candidates. Further, the candidate should have two years of full time employment service in the present organization
- Age: NOT more than 45 years as on 01.08.2014.
- Desirable: Qualifying in one of the NET: CSIR-UGC NET for JRF, UGC-NET for JRF, DBT JRF, ICMR JRF, GATE, NBHM, etc.
Scholarships: All the regular students (except M.Mgt students) who join the Institute are eligible for IISc scholarship / fellowship from CSIR/ UGC/ ICMR/ MHRD/ AICTE/ NBHM as the case may be. Scholarships from many Indian and multinational agencies and business houses are also available for meritorious students.
Selection will be based on candidate’s performance in the interview to be conducted at IISc.
Procedure to Apply: To all these Programmes Non-sponsored or Sponsored candidates can apply online by applying to website www.iisc.ernet.in/admissions