Personal Interview is the last round of test for an IIM aspirant and hence it is reasonable to be a little nervous about it. But there is no need to be, if you are confident of yourself.
The questions can be of a more generalized type or custom made specifically based on your experience till then.
The following are a few tactics to help you crack the Personal Interview:
- Justify your Statement of Purpose: Do justice to your statement of purpose while preparing it and it is obvious that every candidate would have done that.
As the interviewers know you only through your statement of purpose, be prepared to justify whatever you have written in it.
- You would be stressed: As most of us are aware of stress interviews, you may be put through it for some time, just to check how you handle pressure.
Do not lose your cool. If it is your first interview, it is fine to say them that you are a bit stressed out but really looking forward confidently to deliver.
Tell me about yourself!
This question is going to be a sure shot. Do not offer them information on your personal details like place of birth and others. Rather include the following information:
- What you are good at and why?
- What are you passionate about?
- What are your favorite past time and why?
- What is your vision?
- Why graduation in your field and correlate it with your MBA and your vision.
- Your weaknesses (Put this across positively along with a remedial measure)
Note that the answers to these questions should introduce you to them. Do not answer as if you have rehearsed in front of a mirror several times. Be casual!
You decide your questions:
Normally, the interview panel members do not refer to a question bank while interviewing a candidate. To the most part, the candidate decides what is about to be asked.
These questions can be answered with your knowledge quotient. And again the questions can be based on your domain knowledge and work experience.
For instance, had you done your B. Tech in Electrical engineering you may be asked about thyristors, Silicon controlled Rectifiers (SCRs), transformers and other technical questions, also even their practical applications. Be prepared!
Had you worked in a power plant or customer care executive, be ready to face related questions.
Know yourself, know your city!
It is important to know yourself from why you dress the way you dressed on the day of interview to your choice of food. Be honest to yourself and you will make it for sure.
Have a good understanding of your place of birth, its highlights and well known personalities born there. You may be asked to talk on a personality born in your place or any industry situated in your place or any other of its uniqueness.