Students often get confused between scholarship and fellowship as there is a minor difference between both the terms. Though both, scholarship and fellowship are provided to financially support students’ higher education at various levels, why we use these two different terms can be understood in detail in this article. Here we are discussing how Scholarship is different from Fellowship –
The basic concept of scholarship and fellowship is to provide financial aid and grants to students for a period of time for their academics. However, the only difference between scholarship and fellowship is that scholarship is provided to students studying in primary classes to senior secondary classes or up to bachelor degree level. Fellowship is provided to students who undergo research activities at Institutes or University in a particular discipline.
The scholarship is based on various standards that students seeking financial support must fulfil such as for academic scores, in sports competitions, or creative skills competitions etc. However, fellowships have only academic criteria.
But the major difference is that students taking benefit under a fellowship programme are required to pursue their education, research and a profession in the particular field for which the scholarship is provided. They are not allowed to change their discipline is they want to continue receiving the benefits of the fellowship. There is no such limitation to the scholarship schemes as the scholarships are for a limited period of time only and after that students can pursue their choice of course and career.
1. Merit-based scholarships – Students who score good marks in qualifying examinations as per the required criteria are awarded scholarships by Central or State government or any other non-governmental organisation.
2. Talent or creative skills based scholarship – Students do exceptionally well in some subjects such as Science, Mathematics, Computer Science or any other general subjects writing skills, drawing skills etc. are acknowledged and awarded scholarship along with medal and certificates.
3. Sports scholarships for athletic students – Students who participate in sports competitions at state, national or international level are appraised for their performances and provided scholarships besides other prizes so that they can also do well academically.
4. University scholarships – State universities provide scholarships under different categories such as for Girl child education, merit students who score good marks in the first year of their degree course are provided scholarships to support their education in the remaining years of the course.
5. Scholarships to help financially backward and social causes – To help elevate the backward sections of the society, students who are lacking financial support are provided with financial help. Also to encourage awareness in people toward social causes, the relevant government departments provide the scholarship to students in need.
6. Brand recognition scholarships – Some of the brands provide scholarships through various competitions to get their brand recognised in the market. Therefore, consumers buy the products to participate in the scholarships and also, their objective of social responsibility towards different causes is also fulfilled. Some of the most popular scholarships are TATA trust scholarships, Colgate scholarships etc.
Stream/study discipline based Fellowships – These grants are provided to students to motivate them to study and research in a particular field. For example, Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) is a fellowship programme under which students who are exceptionally well in science subjects are encouraged to pursue higher education and research in the stream.
Research Fellowships – These fellowships are provided to students after their post graduation degree is completed and they want to do further research in the discipline. These fellowships are provided by research organisations, universities or Institutes.
Conclusion: Students who seek financial support should understand the facilities provided at different levels. Read here differences and types of scholarships and fellowships.
Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, GoI Offers Scholarships for the students of Assam
College Board launches its Scholar Program in India with Free SAT & Full Scholarship; check details
Medhavi National Scholarship Scheme 2018
S.O.F Initiative to Recognize and Reward Excellence in English Language