Indian Railway is considered as one of the biggest government organization to offer jobs to aspirants of diverse eligibility criteria. Railways have always offered job profile for all those aspirants who wish to acquire it in this sector. Indian Railway's branches are spread all over the country and in this way it automatically becomes India's largest employment provider organization. Various regional RRB Indian Railways have been inviting applications for various posts from time to time.
So, let's know what are the main posts for which the Ministry of Railways releases vacancies in large numbers and the needed qualification for the jobs offered. Along with this, get to know what are the maximum numbers of notifications that Indian Railways releases for what age group and which age group gets most of the recruitments.
Age Limit for Railway Jobs
First of all, the highest number of recruitments in Indian Railways is for the 18-32 age group (general category). While for SC/ST the age limit is exempted for 5 years, for OBC and disabled candidates there is an exemption of 3 years in age limit and for PWD candidates 10 years exemption in age limit is provided by Indian Railways. If you are around 30 years of age, you should start preparing and applying for jobs in areas other than railway too.
The maximum age limit upto which Indian Railways releases notifications for recruitment are 40 to 42 years. This exemption in age limit is for very limited positions. The maximum exemption in age limit is fixed for teacher's grade. This limit has been fixed below 45 years.
Eligibility Criteria for Various Railway Jobs
Let us know about some of the key posts of Indian Railways, the necessary qualifications required for these posts and about the age limit
- Assistant Driver (Electric/Diesel), Data Entry Operator/Skilled Fitter/ Apprentice Wireless or Telecom Maintainer/ Health Inspector/ Excel Unit Operator/ Wheel Unit Operator/ Electric Signal Maintainer, Train Operator, Line Manager, Assistant Loco Pilot (ALP) - Diploma, 10th + ITI diploma or degree is mandatory. Age Limit: 18 to 30 years
- Apprentice Mechanic (Mechanical/Diesel Engine)/ Apprentice Signal Inspector/ Apprentice Permanent Inspector/ Depot Store Keeper/ Official Language Assistant/ Apprentice Inspector of works/ Trainee Junior Draftsman/ Additional Train Checker Grade ILI/ Junior Engineer Telecommunication/ Works and Mechanic – Graduation. Age Limit: 18 to 33 years
- Train Examiner, Health Inspector: Age limit - 18 to 30 years.
- Apprentice Assistant Chargeman (Electronics/Mechanical)/ Apprentice Senior Draftsman (Electronics/Mechanical) - Bachelor's degree in related discipline from any University recognised by the Government of India. Age Limit: 18 to 30 years
- Assistant Programmer/Diesel Foreman (Mechanical/Electrical)/ Law Assistant/ Pharmacist Trainee Charge Man B (Electrical/Electronics) - Bachelor's degree in related discipline from any University recognised by the Government of India. Age Limit: 20 to 32 years.
- Senior Technician: ITI, B.Tech/B.E. Diploma; Age Limit: 18 to 32 years.
- TTE - Ticket Checker or TC: Matriculation with at least 50% marks. Age Limit: 21- 30 years.
- Commercial Apprentice (CA), Traffic Apprentic (TA), Assistant Station Master (ASM)/ Trainee guard/ goods guard: Bachelor's degree. Age Limit: 18 to 30 years
- Junior Accountant cum typist, Senior Clerk cum typist and Senior Time Keeper: Matriculation from any institution recognised by the Government of India with minimum 50% marks and knowledge of hindi typing.