Quantitative Aptitude is one of the subjects, which is included in all SSC exams having equal weight among others. This section is considered as a little bit tricky and time-consuming. There are approximately 29 topics in quantitative aptitude section out of which questions are framed. Time & work is considered as difficult among the others as the language of questions is very tricky and complicated. SSC used to put at least two questions from this topic.
In this article, we will discuss the tips, tricks, and concepts for solving questions based on time & work. Let us start with it-
SSC Quantitative Aptitude Tips: Time & Work
In such questions, you are supposed to find the amount of work done or time to get work done based on the given conditions in questions. There are following assumptions of work and time.
- How to calculate the number of the required persons to finish a particular work in the given time period?
- How to calculate the time required to complete a work by the definite number of persons?
To find the above metrics, you have to keep the following things in mind.
- In solving such questions, the total amount of work done is always supposed to be equal to 1.
- If a person can do a piece of work in n days, then that person’s one day work = 1/n.
- If one day work done by a person=1/n; then the person will complete the total work in n days.
- The person has equal efficiency throughout a day i.e. A person works equally every day.
Important points to remember
- The number of persons and amount of work is directly proportional to each other (More work require more persons and conversely more persons will do more work).
- Time and person are inversely proportional to each other (More men will complete the work in less time and conversely more time is needed by the lesser persons).
- Time and work are directly proportional.
- Wages are directly proportional to work ( More work- more wages and less work-less wages)
- Wages and time taken to complete a work individually are inversely proportional.
SSC Quantitative Aptitude tricks: Time and Work
During SSC exams, it is not possible to solve every such question in a traditional way. Therefore, we have collected some shortcut tricks to evaluate the problems-
- If P1 can do W1 work in D1 days working T1 in a day get R1 wages and similarly P2 can do W2 work in D2 days working T2 in a day get R2 wages. The basic all in one relationship between both the scenario will be-
P1* W1*D1*T1*R1= P2*W2*D2*T2*R2
- If A can do a piece of work in x days and B can do the same work in y days, then
=> (A+B)'s 1 day’s work= 1/x+1/y;
=> The inverse of (A+B)’s 1-day work= total time taken by A and B to complete the work together.
- If A & B can do a piece of work in x days, B & C can do the same work in y days, and C & A can do the same work in z days, then
(A+B+C) can do that work in= [2xyz/(xy+yz+zx)] days
- A and B can do a piece of work in x and y days respectively. Both begin together but after some days, A leaves off and the remaining work is done by B in z days. Then, the time after which A left, is given by T= (y-z)*x/x+y;
- A and B can do a piece of work in x and y days respectively. Both begin together if
- A leaves the work a days before its completion, then the total time taken for completion of work will be given as
- B leaves the work a days before its completion, then the total time taken for completion of work will be given as
1. A can do a work in 10 days and B in 20 days. How many days will both take to complete the work?
Ans.:- Total time taken by A and B to complete the work= xy/x+y= 20*10/ (10+20) = 200/30= 15 days.
2. A and B can do a piece of work in 10 and 20 days respectively. Both begin together but after some days, A leaves off and the remaining work is done by B in 5 days. After how many days did A leaves?
Ans.:- Required time= (y-z)*x/x+y
= 150/30= 5 days.
3. If A & B can do a piece of work in 10 days, B & C can do the same work in 20 days, and C & Acan do the same work in 15 days. Find the time in which A, B, and C can finish the work, working together?
Ans.:- (A+B+C) can do that work in= [2xyz/(xy+yz+zx)] days
= 9.23 days.
We at www.jagranjosh.com are dedicated to providing you all the necessary tips & tricks for all relevant subjects. For more information, keep on visiting our official webpage.
All the Best!