Air Marshal Kulwant Singh Gill on 8 January 2013 took over the charge of National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla as its new Commandant. Kulwant Singh replaced outgoing Lt. Gen Ashok Singh to take over this post.
National Defence Academy (NDA)
NDA is the only tri-service academy of defence, namely Army, Navy and Air Force in Asia that offers a complete three-year training in defence and academics to the cadets, before they are sent forward to their respective officers training academy to complete the remaining one-year course before being commissioned into the armed forces. NDA is a defence training academy that trains about 2000 cadets every year and is controlled by Integrated Defence Staff (IDS). NDA is the first tri-service academy of the world.
Air Marshal Kulwant Singh Gill
• He has served the Indian Air Force for a period of 35 years
• He was commissioned in the Flying Branch of the Indian Air Force (IAF) in 1977
• He holds more than 7000 hours of accident and incident free flying in his credit and is a qualified flying instructor
• He was the Contingent Commander for the first UN Mission to Congo
• He was conferred with Presidential Award of Vayu Sena Medal (Gallantry) in 1990,
• He also was conferred with Yudh Seva Medal in 2005 and Ati Vishisht Seva Medal in 2010
• He also served as the member in the seventh and eighth expeditions to Antarctica
• The Leh Air Force Station was declared to be the Pride of Western Air Command under him