Sergeant Ali Javed in the last week of March 2017 made history by becoming the first Muslim to join the Emergency Service Unit of the New York City Police Department (NYPD).
With this, Sergeant Javed has also become the first Pakistani American to join the elite services.
About New York City Police Department
• The New York City Police Department is the largest municipal police force in the United States.
• It was established in the year 1845.
• The agency’s primary responsibilities are law enforcement and investigation within the five boroughs of New York City.
• It is one of the oldest police departments established in the U.S.
• It has a broad array of specialized services, including the Emergency Service Unit, K9, harbour patrol, air support, bomb disposal, counter-terrorism, criminal intelligence, and others.
• Its mission is to "enforce the laws, preserve the peace, reduce fear, and provide for a safe environment."
• The agency’s regulations are compiled in title 38 of the New York City Rules.
• It is headquartered at 1 Police Plaza, located on Park Row in Lower Manhattan across the street from City Hall.
• It has extensive crime scene investigation and laboratory resources, as well as units which assist with computer crime investigations.
Who: Ali Javed
When: Last week of March 2017