Anil Baijal took oath as new Lieutenant Governor of Delhi on 31 December 2016. His oath of the office and secrecy was administered by President Pranab Mukherjee in a ceremony held at Raj Niwas.
Earlier, President Pranab Mukherjee approved his appointment.
Baijal has succeeded Najeeb Jung, who earlier on 22 December resigned from the post of Delhi LG. He resigned 18 months short of his tenure.
70-year-old Baijal had served as Union Home Secretary under the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government. His appointment came after the sudden resignation of Najeeb Jung from the post.
About Anil Baijal
• The former IAS officer of 1969 batch of Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territory (AGMUT) cadre is associated with the Vivekananda International Foundation.
• During his tenure as Home Secretary, Kiran Bedi was removed from her post of the head of jails. Bedi was accused of breaking jail manuals.
• He served Delhi Development Authority (DDA) as its Vice-Chairman.
• He has served Indian Airlines as its Managing Director, Chief Secretary of Andaman & Nicobar Islands, CEO of Prasar Bharati, and Development Commissioner of Goa among others.
• In 2006, he retired as the Secretary of the Urban Development Ministry.
• He was also associated with the planning and implementation of Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) that was launched by former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.