Bangladesh and China on 14 October 2016 signed 26 agreements and Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) during the visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
The agreements and MoU include boosting cooperation in counter-terrorism, infrastructure development and energy cooperation.
List of MoUs signed
• MoU on One Belt One Road- Bangladesh formally joined China’s One Belt One Road Initiative.
• MoU to establish institutional cooperation in areas of maritime issues and counter-terrorism.
• MoU to get a 1320 MW power plant constructed in Bangladesh by China.
• China's TBEA signed a power grid deal worth 1.6 billion US dollars with Dhaka Power.
• Agreement to enhance high-level exchanges, maintain frequent contacts between leaders of the two countries on the sidelines of multilateral foray.
• Framework Agreement for Developing Cooperation on Production Capacity between Bangladesh and China.
• Agreement to continue their cooperation on river management, including dredging with land reclamation.
• Agreement to start feasibility studies on the establishment of China-Bangladesh Free Trade Area.
• Agreement in which Beijing will train 500 Chinese-language teachers for Bangladesh, train 100 Bangladeshi cultural professionals and invite 600 Bangladeshi students to visit China from 2016 to 2020.
• They also jointly unveiled six projects, including multi-lane tunnel beneath the Karnaphuli River in Chittagong.
• Apart from this, both the sides also signed various agreements of cooperation in areas of industrial capacity building, power and energy, information technology, investment, disaster management and culture.
Both the countries also announced the year 2017 as the Year of Friendship and Exchanges between China and Bangladesh.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
What: Signed 26 agreements
When: 14 October 2016