Senior IAS officer BN Sharma was on 28 November 2017 as the Chairman of National Anti-profiteering Authority (NAA). The post of NAA Chairman is equivalent to the rank of Secretary to Union Government.
As the Chairman of NAA, BN Sharma is expected to boost the confidence of consumers that GST is a ''Good and Simple Tax'' in the overall national interest.
He will be assisted by four senior officials of the rank of Joint Secretary and have been appointed as Technical Members in the Authority.
These officials are JC Chauhan, Chairman of Tax Tribunal of Himachal Pradesh; Bijay Kumar, Principal Commissioner GST of Kolkata; CL Mahar, Principal Commissioner GST of Meerut and R Bhagyadevi, ADG, Systems at Chennai.
About BN Sharma
• BN Sharma is an IAS officer of 1985 batch of Rajasthan cadre.
• He is currently posted as Additional Secretary in the Department of Revenue under Union Ministry of Finance.
• He has been closely associated with the formulation of GST and its implementation.
• He also worked as Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Power and prior to that, in the Commercial Taxes Department of Rajasthan.
Cabinet approves the establishment of the National Anti-profiteering Authority under GST
About National Anti-profiteering Authority (NAA)
• The National Anti-profiteering Authority was formed under Goods and Services Tax (GST) on 16 November 2017.
• The objective of NAA is to comfort consumers that Government is fully committed to make sure that the benefits of implementation of GST reach them without any hassle.
• With the appointment of Chairman and Technical Members, the Authority becomes functional thereby reassuring consumers that GST will result in lower prices of goods and services.
• The Authority has been set up for a period of two years and its term will begin from the date when BN Sharma will assume charge as the Chairman.
15th Finance Commission constituted under the chairmanship of NK Singh
GST rate on various mass consumption items reduced to 18 per cent
Who: BN Sharma
When: 28 November 2017