The Union Cabinet on 18 January 2017 gave its approval to the proposal for India’s taking full membership of the International Vaccine Institute (IVI) Governing Council.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the Cabinet in New Delhi. The meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
About International Vaccine Institute
• The Internatioanl Vaccine Institute (IVI) is located in Seoul, the capital city of South Korea.
• Its vision is to make vaccines available and accessible for vulnerable populations in developing countries.
• Its mission is to discover, develop and deliver safe, effective and affordable vaccines for global public health.
• The IVI was established in 1997 on the initiatives of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
• The UNDP is a specialized agency of the United Nations. The agency is devoted to developing and introducing new and improved vaccines to protect the people, especially children, against deadly infectious diseases.
• South Korea, Sweden and the World Health Organization (WHO) are among the 36 countries and agencies that signed the IVI Treaty.
• IVI’s approach is based on three components. They are research, partnership and capacity building.
India’s membership in IVI
• India is a long-term collaborator and stakeholder of IVI.
• In 2007, India joined the International Vaccine Institute with the approval of the Cabinet.
• In December 2012, the Board of Trustees (BOT) of IVI approved the formation of its new governance structure.
• As per the new governance structure of IVI, a member State has to contribute to the IVI by paying a portion of its core budget.
• Since India is classified in Group-I, it has to pay an annual contribution of USD 50,000.
• India’s membership in the IVI helps in strengthening the Mission Indradhanush.
• The Mission Indradhanush is a nationwide immunization programme.
• It was launched by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in December 2014.
When: 18 January 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.