Cabinet approves ‘Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN yojana’ for financial support to Integrated Bioethanol Projects
The Centre for High Technology (CHT), a technical body under the aegis of the Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, will be the implementation Agency for the scheme. The Project developers, interested in availing benefits of the scheme, need to submit their proposal for review by Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) of the Ministry.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the ‘Pradhan Mantri Jaiv Indhan- Vatavaran Anukool fasal awashesh Nivaran (JI-VAN) Yojana’ for providing financial support to the Integrated Bioethanol Projects.
The scheme aims to incentivise 2G Ethanol sector and support the industry by creating a suitable ecosystem for setting up commercial projects and increasing Research & Development in this area.
The Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana will be supported with the total financial outlay of Rs 1969.50 crore for the period 2018-19 to 2023-24.
Disbursement of total allocated fund of Rs 1969.50 crore:
Phases under JI-VAN Yojana
Under the JI-VAN Yojana, 12 Commercial Scale and 10 Demonstration Scale Second Generation (2G) ethanol projects will be provided with a Viability Gap Funding (VGF) support in two phases. These two phases are:
a) Phase-I (2018-19 to 2022-23): 6 Commercial projects and 5 demonstration projects will be supported.
b) Phase-II (2020-21 to 2023-24): Remaining 6 commercial projects and 5 demonstration projects will be supported.
• Meeting the vision of Government in reducing import dependence by way of substituting fossil fuels with Biofuels
• Achieving the greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets through progressive substitution of fossil fuels
• Addressing environment concerns caused due to burning of biomass or crop residues.
• Improving the health of citizens
• Improving farmers’ income by providing them remunerative income for their otherwise waste agriculture residues
• Creating rural & urban employment opportunities in 2G Ethanol projects and Biomass supply chain.
• Contributing to Swacch Bharat Mission by supporting the aggregation of nonfood biofuel feedstocks
• Indigenisation of Second Generation Biomass to Ethanol technologies.
Highlights of the Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana
• The Centre for High Technology (CHT), a technical body under the aegis of the Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, will be the implementation Agency for the scheme.
• The Project developers, interested in availing benefits of the scheme, need to submit their proposal for review by Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) of the Ministry.
• The Projects recommended by SAC shall be approved by Steering Committee of the Ministry under the chairmanship of Secretary of Ministry of Petroleum.
• The ethanol produced by the beneficiaries of the scheme will be mandatorily supplied to Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) to further enhance the blending percentage under Ethanol Blending Programme (EBP).
Ethanol Blended Petrol (EBP) programme