The Centre of Integrative Oncology is going to be inaugurated on 3 February 2017 at the National Institute of Cancer Prevention and Research (NICPR), Noida. The institute will be dedicated to building collaboration in areas related to cancer research, care and prevention.
The inauguration of the centre would be carried out by Saumya Swaminathan, the Secretary of Department of Health Research (Ministry of Health & Family Welfare) & Director General of Indian Council for Medical Research and Ajit M. Sharan, the Secretary of Ministry of AYUSH.
Besides them, Ravi Mehrotra, Director of NICPR-Indian Council for Medical Research and Abhimanyu Kumar, Director of All India Institute of Ayurveda would also be present at the ceremony.
The memorandum of understanding (MOU) for the centre’s construction was signed on 19 October 2016.
Main Objectives of the Centre
• To build collaborations in the areas of cancer prevention, research and care.
• It will carry forward the ongoing bilateral dialogues and facilitate collaboration with stake holders including national and international ones such as National Cancer Institute, USA.
• It would be the clearing house for information for cancer research and management projects initiated by Ministry of AYUSH.
• It would also be offering 5 post-doctoral and 5 Senior Research Fellowships each year to deserving candidates to assist and encourage quality research on cancer in the country.
• The fellowship program would be launched at the inauguration ceremony.
The Centre’s creation is an outcome of the discussions held during the Indo-US Workshop on 3-4th March 2016, which was organized by Ministry of AYUSH. The workshop saw in attendance US delegates from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute of Health and National Cancer Institute, who along with eminent cancer research experts from India laid out a plan for future collaborations.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.