Chandigarh to host Destination North East 2017
Chandigarh is all set to host Destination North East 2017, a three-day event that aims to display the North East Region as a potential destination for investment.
Chandigarh will be hosting ‘Destination North East 2017’, a three-day event from 6 March 2017 to showcase North East as a potential destination for investment.
The event organised by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Government of India and PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry will see round table discussions and exhibition stalls, displaying various features of the North East in order to attract investment in different sectors including handloom and handicraft, tourism, horticulture and floriculture, skill development, food processing, organic farming and bamboo development, rural livelihoods and entrepreneurship and microfinance.
• Destination North East 2017 would be inaugurated by Jitendra Singh, the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region.
• The main objective of the event is to showcase the North East region (NER) as a great investment potential by highlighting its rich cultural heritage, customs and traditions.
• The main theme of this year’s festival is to highlight the use of appropriate technologies in all sectors of development for NER.
• According to S N Pradhan, Joint Secretary of DoNER, the main focus would be on the 3 H mission, which includes Horticulture, Handicraft and Handloom.
• Besides providing an opportunity to different sectors to deliberate upon their achievements, issues and challenges, the event would provide a platform to discuss and develop linkage strategies at B2B and people to people level.
• The festival would also include cultural programmes and performances from popular orchestra groups like Shillong Chamber Choir and Angaraag Mahanta (Papon).
• Some of the event participants include the Office of Principal Scientific Adviser to Government of India and Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR).
Destination North East is an annual event and this is the first that it is being organised outside Delhi.