No helmet, no petrol rule in Kangra
• Himachal Pradesh’s Kagra district has introduced a new rule at its petrol pumps –‘No helmet, no petrol’.
• According to an order issued by the Kangra deputy commissioner- Sandeep Kumar, if two-wheeler riders land up at any of the 71 petrol pumps in the district without helmet, they shall not be served.
• The restriction is aimed at teaching people safety rules and cutting down on road accidents.
• The police officers and sub divisional magistrates have been asked to ensure implementation of the new rule.
• The rule shall also be implemented on tourists who visit the district on two-wheelers from adjoining states.
Uttarakhand governor awards 34 students
• Uttarakhand Governor K K Paul on July 12, 2018 honoured 34 students with the Governor's Award for performing well in class 10th and 12th examinations of the Uttarakhand Board this year.
• Apart from giving the top three scorers of high school, intermediate and Madhyama and Uttar Madhyama in Sanskrit education Rs 7,000, Rs 5,000 and Rs 3,000 in cash, the Governor also gifted each of the awarded students a book based on the Prime Minister's Mann ki Baat.
• The Governor also advised the children to develop the habit of reading books beyond the prescribed syllabus.
Olympic torch relay to start in Fukushima
• Organisers of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics have revealed that the torch relay will start in Fukushima, an area hit by the 2011 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster.
• The relay will start on March 26, 2020 in Fukushima and will head southward to Okinawa before making its way north again and arriving in Tokyo on July 10.
• The route was approved by the organising committee.
Delhi government reinstates panels of lawyers scrapped by LG
• The Delhi government has reinstated its panels of lawyers in the Supreme Court and the Delhi High Court, which were cancelled by Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal.
• The information was shared by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on July 12, days after the apex court clipped the power of the lieutenant governor.
• The LG had cancelled Delhi government’s panels of advocates in the High Court and the Supreme Court, due to which the Delhi government’s cases in these courts were suffering.
• The panel for the Delhi High Court scrapped by the LG had prominent lawyers including Indira Jaising, Rebecca Mammen John and Colin Gonsalves.
Mohammad Kaif announces retirement from competitive cricket
• Mohammad Kaif announced his retirement from all forms of competitive cricket on July 13, almost 12 years after he last played for the Indian team.
• The 37-year-old played 13 Tests and 125 ODIs for India and was known for his fine fielding and his effective middle-order batting.
• He was a part of the Indian team that reached the World Cup final in South Africa. Along with Yuvraj Singh, Kaif was among the stars to emerge from the U-19 India stable after leading the Colts to a maiden Junior World Cup triumph in 2000.
• In his 13 Test appearances, Kaif logged 2753 runs at an average of 32.01, including two hundreds and 17 half-centuries.
• Kaif will always be remembered as being one of the finest fielders that India has ever produced.
Odisha constitutes Heritage Cabinet
• The Odisha government on July 12, 2018 issued a notification on the constitution of a 'Heritage Cabinet,' headed by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
• The 'Heritage Cabinet' would aim at protection of ancient monuments, temples and archaeological sites in Odisha and take steps to preserve the states culture, language and literature.
• There will be eight members including chief minister in the cabinet, stated a notification issued by the Parliamentary Affairs Department.
• The ministers of Finance, Odia Language, Literature & Culture and Tourism, Handlooms, Textiles & Handicrafts, SC, ST Development, Higher Education, School & Mass Education and Electronics & IT are other members of the cabinet, while Chief Secretary A P Padhi will be the secretary.
Spiritual leader Dada Vaswani passes away
• Dada Vaswani, spiritual leader and head of the Sadhu Vaswani mission, passed away at the age of 99 in Pune on July 12, 2018.
• Dada Vaswani was known for actively promoting vegetarianism and campaigning for animal rights.
• He had initiated a global peace initiative called,‘The Moment of Calm’.
Connaught Place: 9th most costly location
• According to the report of property consultant CBRE, New Delhi’s Connaught Place is the 9th most expensive office location in the world with an annual rent of $153 per sq ft.
• The ranking was topped by Hong Kong at the 1st position followed by London.
• The survey highlighted that prime office occupancy cost growth was consistent across all regions in the past 12 months.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports