WHO lists 'Disease X' among priority diseases: Report
• WHO listed "Disease X", which could potentially trigger deadly global epidemic in the near future, among priority diseases, calling for urgent measures to tackle it.
• The report seeks to enable cross-cutting research and development preparedness for an unknown 'Disease X'.
• Besides Disease X, the seven other potential global disease threats each lacking an effective drug or vaccine includes Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever (CCHF); Ebola virus disease and Marburg virus disease; Lassa fever; Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS); Nipah and henipaviral diseases Rift Valley fever (RVF); and Zika.
Legendary French fashion designer Hubert de Givenchy dies at 91
• French fashion designer Hubert de Givenchy, a pioneer of ready-to-wear range, passed away on March 10, 2018 at age 91.
• Givenchy founded his own house in 1952 and in 1988, he sold the house to French luxury conglomerate LVMH, the parent company that now owns Dior, Celine, Marc Jacobs, Pucci and Kenzo.
• Givenchy was part of the elite cadre of Paris-based designers including Christian Dior, Yves Saint Laurent and his mentor, Christobal Balenciaga, that redefined fashion in the wake of World War II.
• He designed Audrey Hepburn's little black dress in 1961 hit "Breakfast at Tiffany's".
Lucknow’s legendary Begum Hamida Habibullah dies at 102
• Begum Hamida Habibullah, a former Rajya Sabha member and a pioneer in women empowerment, passed away in Lucknow on March 13, 2018. She was 102.
• Begum Hamida served as an MLA from Haidergarh (Barabanki) and was State Minister of social and Harijan Welfare, National Integration and Civil Defence from 1971-73.
• She was also a member of the Executive Committee of Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee (UPCC) till 1980.
Maldives Parliament approves Anti-Defection Bill
• The Maldives Parliament approved the Anti-Defection Bill with retrospective effect amidst boycott by opposition MPs.
• According to the bill, MPs elected on political party tickets will lose their seat if they leave their party, get expelled or switch parties.
• The bill will take effect from 13 July 2017. Thus, 12 MPs that switched to the opposition party in 2017 would now lose their seats.
PM Narendra Modi launches number of schemes for poor in Varanasi
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a number of schemes for the poor in Varanasi and emphasised on harnessing solar energy for cooking.
• He also inaugurated a 101-megawatt solar power plant in Mirzapur along with French President Emmanuel Macron and laid the foundation stone of various development projects worth over Rs 800 crore in Varanasi.
• He flagged off a new train - Kanshi-Patna Jan Shatabdi Express - between Varanasi and Patna.
• He launched Pradhan Mantri Poshan Mission Yojana to ensure nutrition to children, especially girls.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
IndiGo cancels 47 flights after DGCA order
• Following the order of Directorate General of Civil Aviation's (DGCA) to ground 11 A320neo aircraft, Indigo cancelled 47 flights on various routes.
• While accepting cancellation of flights, Indigo gave passengers the option to either choose another flight at no additional cost or cancel their booking and get a full refund.
• Earlier, DGCA asked IndiGo and GoAir to ground a total of 11 A320neo aircraft fitted with Pratt & Whitney 1100 engines. Out ot the 11, 8 are operated by IndiGo while GoAir operates 3.
IPL launches anthem for 2018 edition
• The Indian Premier League (IPL) launched the anthem for the 2018 edition of games starting on April 7.
• BCCI and Star India collaborated to create anthem for the campaign this year and they named the anthem as 'Best vs Best'.
• The lyrics, music and the video of 'Best vs Best' encompass the spirit of IPL which brings together the best in the game, where best of global talent showcase their expertise.
Delhi's first Commissioner of Police dead
• First Commissioner of Delhi Police Jayendra Nath Chaturvedi passed away in Varanasi.
• He was a 1951-batch officer and was the Chairman of the Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC).
• He served as the first Commissioner of Police in Delhi from July 1978 to January 1980.
Assam Budget proposes to set up North East Foundation
• The 2018-19 Budget for Assam proposes to establish a North East Foundation, which will act as a think tank for the region.
• This foundation will also link with leading think tanks at national and global levels and will express the perspective of t North East region in a strategic, holistic manner.
Facebook, NASSCOM Launch Design4India Studio in Bengaluru
• The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) in association with Facebook launched "Design4India Studio" in Bengaluru.
• The platform will provide interactions with design industry mentors and give an opportunity to aspiring designers and startups to explore, innovate and build design as a tool for innovation.
• With "WeWork" as the collaborative space partner, the Design4India Studio will provide web, mobile, Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) platforms for start-ups and designers.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.